Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

apple tv cannot launch netflix unless I go to settings/general/restart every time

apple tv cannot launch Netflix directly from the icon. I have to go to settings/general/restart.

every time.

I have done a reset, unplugged the Apple box. with no results.

I know the system is working because after "restart" everything works well

Bill Berrios

Apple TV, Windows 7

Posted on Apr 1, 2015 4:22 PM

2 replies

Apr 4, 2015 9:43 AM in response to intersam

Hi Bill,

Thanks for participating in the Apple Support Communities.

It sounds like the Netflix app either wont launch or wont stream video unless you restart your Apple TV.

If the Netflix app isn't streaming video, try this advice next:

In most cases, you can isolate playback issues to your home network, your broadband connection, or a possible outage with a content provider. To see if your issue is affecting multiple services or a specific content provider, try another service. For example, play a movie trailer from the main menu.

• If the issue is affecting multiple services on your Apple TV, see how to troubleshoot playback performance.
  • If the issue is affecting a single content provider on your Apple TV, restart your Apple TV by going to Settings > General > Restart. If the issue continues, you might need to contact the content provider.

Apple TV: Troubleshooting third-party content providers - Apple Support

If the Netflix app isn't launching at all, you may need to restore the Apple TV to factory settings using the steps found here:

Apple TV (2nd and 3rd generation): Restoring your Apple TV - Apple Support

Sincerely,

Jeremy

Apr 23, 2015 4:09 PM in response to jeremy_v

I also have this problem. All other apps (Hulu, Youtube, etc) work fine without restarting. Netflix works fine on other devices on the same network, including MacBook Air, iPad Air, and iPhone 5S. Only Apple TV has this problem with Netflix, and only since the next-to-last system update. Additionally, sometimes after restarting Apple TV, Netflix will no longer remember my identity and will take many attempts (all using the same password, verifiable from the web on another device) to sign in again. Again, this is only happening on the Netflix app.

I just had a chat with Netflix support, whose only suggestion was to uninstall and reinstall the app, which you can't do on Apple TV.

apple tv cannot launch netflix unless I go to settings/general/restart every time

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.