Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Consolidate rated photos into library

I'd like the community's help in making a seemingly simple task not a total nightmare (which can happen with libraries, a little bird told me.)

I have a very large library. I use star ratings to get a feel for what I've got. I'd like to consolidate all 3 Star + photos and videos into a new library. I've made a smart album.

You're thinking: so... what? You've got everything. But I'd like someone's step by step on the next as I simply don't want to mess it up. I've a backup of course, but playing with 8 years of photos is scary.

Thanks in advance for your help! 😀

MacBook Pro (15-inch Late 2011), OS X Mavericks (10.9), 16gb RAM

Posted on Apr 1, 2015 1:05 PM

4 replies

Apr 1, 2015 1:12 PM in response to Catnip Toy

Make a copy of your iPhoto Library by duplicating it in the Finder.

Create a smart album with the single rule: Rating is less than ***

User uploaded file

Then select photos in this album and delete them. But don't try to delete all at once, do it in easy instalments and empty the Trash after deleting each batch. iPhoto has problems to empty the Trash, if it is too full.

Apr 1, 2015 1:14 PM in response to Catnip Toy

The only way to move photos from one Library to another, along with all metadata, versions and edit history is with iPhoto Library Manager

Other than that, your option is to export to the Finder (and be forced to choose between original and edited versions, potentially some metadata, including ratings) and then import to a new Library.

If you can explain why you want to do this, then perhaps we can suggest alternative approaches.

Apr 1, 2015 1:37 PM in response to Catnip Toy

If you want to keep the edited versions and metadata, i.e. keywords, titles, descriptions, etc., then you have two methods.

Method 1:

1 - duplicate the library.

2 - open the duplicate library.

3 - create a smart album with the criteria Ratiing is less than 3 stars. This will give you all of the photos that are not in your first smart album, 3 stars or greater.

4 - in groups of about 200 photos at a time move the photos from the second smart album to the iPhoto Trash bin with the key combination Command+Option+Delete and empty the trash bin with the key combination of Shift+Command+Delete.

5 - now you have your preferred photos in a library by themselves.

Method 2:

1 - create a new library for the special photos and videos.

2 - purchase the paid version of iPhoto Library Manager.

3 - add your current library and the new library to iPLM.

4 - select the smart album with the preferred photos and videos and drag to the new library in iPLM's left hand pane.

5 - after the copying between libraries is complete open the new library and confirm that the photos and their events are present.

User uploaded file

Consolidate rated photos into library

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.