Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Upgraded 2006 iMac: Won't Power On

I just upgraded my 2006 20" Core Duo to the T7600 Core 2 Duo processor and it won't power on at all.

I can hear a click in the inverter board when I plug it in, but the machine does nothing when I hit the power button. I replaced the inverter (had broken a plastic socket on the bottom edge) and rechecked all connections for fit and tightness, but no luck. Any advice?

I've tried replacing the board battery, reseated the RAM modules, held down the power key for over a minute both before and after plugging it in, tried other outlets…but no luck. :-(

(And, yes, this iMac has a socketed processor and is upgradeable:

https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/iMac+Intel+20-Inch+EMC+2105+and+2118+CPU+Replacemen t/35350 )

iMac, Mac OS X (10.6.8), 2006 iMac Intel 2.0 Ghz Core Duo

Posted on Apr 1, 2015 1:24 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 1, 2015 2:36 PM

Are you sure the new processor is seated correctly?

If it is I would go back to the old processor to see if the mac works with that. If it does you know your new processor is the problem.

2 replies

Apr 1, 2015 2:39 PM in response to Ralph9430

Thanks, Ralph--that was my next step. I'm just too tired to try again today. 😐 It's a lot of screws and cables to deal with; takes me a few hours and is quite tedious.

A repair friend suggested it could be the power supply, but the computer was fine before the processor swap. My hard drive was dying, so I thought I'd upgrade the processor while I had it open. Lucky me!

Upgraded 2006 iMac: Won't Power On

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.