Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Airprint wired vs wireless

I have a supposedly air print capable Lexmark M810N printer connected to our domain with a hard wired LAN connection, however I am told I can not use its air print capabilities with my IOS 8.11 device unless I take off the domain and hard wire it to the wifi network (which is not currently part of the LAN). Is this correct? I am told the printer can not have two connections, wired and wireless, which totally defeats the purpose of having "wireless" capable printer as that was the premise it was sold to us as.

iPad Air, iOS 8.1.1

Posted on Apr 1, 2015 4:42 PM

3 replies

Apr 1, 2015 5:00 PM in response to tammerz

Why would you hard wire it if it is wireless and then say that it defeats the purpose of having a wireless printer? That doesn't make sense to me. Hard wiring the printer defeats the purpose of have a wireless printer, doesn't it?

I Have an HP PhotoSmart 7520 AirPrint printer. The only thing that it is plugged into is the wall socket for power. It isn't hard wired to anything at all and it works with all three of our MacBooks, iPhones and iPads.

Apr 1, 2015 8:33 PM in response to Demo

The current wired system is servicing all the non-wireless computers on our local network Domain. the wireless IOS devices hoping to use this same printer are not part of our domain network nor is the wifi access part of the domain network. Long and short 1 printer basically two networks, 1 network using wired nic card connection and one to use AirPrint via a separate wifi connection. guessing this is not possible.

Airprint wired vs wireless

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.