Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why is my 2010 iMac not burning CDs anymore?

For some reason my iMac won't accept CDs to burn. It sometimes rejected a CD but now it won't burn any, giving me the message that there was a "media error? I checked the systems info and it says the disc burner is OK.

iMac (21.5-inch, Late 2012), OS X Yosemite (10.10)

Posted on Apr 1, 2015 2:40 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 4, 2015 8:21 PM

There can be numerous reasons, anything from a incompatible media (try different brands of media), to needing a simple SMC and PRAM reset, to a dirty laser which requires a CD/DVD cleaning kit to a worn SuperDrive. Start with the resets, if needed do the resets and if those don't work progress to changing media to finally getting the SuperDrive replaced.

iMac SMC and PRAM reset

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 4, 2015 8:21 PM in response to enfieldoak

There can be numerous reasons, anything from a incompatible media (try different brands of media), to needing a simple SMC and PRAM reset, to a dirty laser which requires a CD/DVD cleaning kit to a worn SuperDrive. Start with the resets, if needed do the resets and if those don't work progress to changing media to finally getting the SuperDrive replaced.

iMac SMC and PRAM reset

Apr 4, 2015 9:21 PM in response to enfieldoak

There's a "secret" about Super Drives: it may accept a certain type of drive early on in its life, but reject that same media later.

For example; you may need the AZO Verbatim instead of the standard Verbatim disks. Sony disks are consistently good on Super Drives. Give your Super Drive a cleaning, and try out other media. And please report your results here, so others can benefit from your research.

Why is my 2010 iMac not burning CDs anymore?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.