Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

my new Canon Pixma MG7520 isn't listed in printer preferences.

Just purchased a Canon Pixma MG7520 wireless Print-Copy-Scan After spending all morning on the phone with Canon support, numerous tries and reboots of printer, router, airport and iMac, the Canon printer still does not show up when I try to add a printer in print prefs. The router and printer are talking to each other, and the printer recognizes our airport network. I've already lost 3/4 of a day trying to figure out what to do next. Anyone else have this issue?

iMac (21.5-inch Mid 2011), Mac OS X (10.7.5)

Posted on Apr 1, 2015 2:51 PM

5 replies

Apr 1, 2015 3:44 PM in response to Kappy

I already downloaded up to date software for this iMac and this printer. My problem is that my iMac doesn't list this printer, when I open print preferences and then click on the + button. Canon customer service took me as far as they could go, which meant over two hours on the phone, and told me that I needed to contact Apple. Any other ideas Kappy?

Apr 1, 2015 4:29 PM in response to silkpurse

Plug the printer directly into the computer to make sure it is working. (Should have USB to allow direct connection).

If it works go through the setup again via wireless to the airport. What IP does it get?

Please ping the printer IP from the computer.. it will often fail if the name used in the airport is typical apple name.

Please use all SMB names.. that means.. Short.. <8 characters please.. no spaces and pure alphanumerics.

Passwords can be the same rules but >8 characters.

If you still have trouble test briefly with no password at all.. if you still have issues the Canon printer might be having wireless issues.

May 11, 2015 5:00 PM in response to LaPastenague

I'm having the same issues and it is completely unpredictable. Except for the network issues I love the printer. But it never remains on the network, though sometimes it shows up randomly. I can print, then can't print. My wife can print, then can't print. We delete it, can't add it back, then we can add it back. Lately, it just never seems to work; everything has been restarted multiple times to no avail.

It's 2015... why can;'t we get a printer on our wireless network consistently??? This should be a basic technical issue that should have been resolved by now.

Is there an "Apple officially sanctioned" wireless printer that will just work? If not, I'll hire some smart engineers to dream one up!

Thank.

May 11, 2015 6:36 PM in response to Budrew

Is there an "Apple officially sanctioned" wireless printer that will just work?

No, apple left the printer field many years ago. It has no interest in returning.

It's 2015... why can;'t we get a printer on our wireless network consistently???

Wireless is still voodoo technology. They are moving rapidly in one direction.. higher speeds.. while issues of reliability are ignored.. latest greatest technology is always recipe for unreliable.

I can print, then can't print. My wife can print, then can't print.

Print from what? Do you need airprint.. if not plug it into a computer by USB or ethernet direct and share with the network.

Airprint is a pain...!

Yosemite is not reliable.. if this issue has to do with computers then tell me more.. if it has to do with iOS there is nothing much possible as airprint is required.

my new Canon Pixma MG7520 isn't listed in printer preferences.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.