Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Getting set to get new Mac pro

I Presently have a Mac pro tower 2010, and am getting ready to replace it with the new Mac pro. I do a lot of photography and video so my new machine will be used for that. I have one SSD and 3 HDD internal, and 5 HDD external. All of my programs are on my SSD, and my data is on one of the internal HDD's.

I Am not a computer expert, but I am trying to find out what I can do to make the transition from my old Mac to the new one.

CAn an I bring my old Mac to the Apple Store and have the files transferred over to the new Mac? Will I be able to use all of my external drives as external drives on my new Mac. My HDD's are USB 2.0, is there any conflict with USB 3.0. My monitor is DVI, can I use that on the new Mac? I have two built in DVD drives, what would I need to do with the new Mac to have 2 DVD' drives? Will my present speakers work with the new Mac.

Mac Pro, OS X Yosemite (10.10.2), 16 gig RAM, 5 tb storage, 240 gb SS

Posted on Apr 1, 2015 2:35 PM

3 replies

Apr 1, 2015 3:05 PM in response to noelmac

- USB 2 devices will work fine on the nMP.

- You can use Migration Assistant during setup to move stuff to the nMP. However, it is best to only move data and not apps and to reinstall the apps on the nMP. You have to consult the program developers for how to reinstall the apps on the nMP. Some require uninstalling since they can only be installed on one computer.

How to move data to your new Mac using Mountain Lion and earlier - Apple Support

- The spears will work fine on the nMP

- You will have to purchase external optical drives. USB ones are fine since the nMP does not have any optical drives. The nMP only has four USB ports, all are USB 3.

- You need a mini displayport to DVI adapter for your monitor. If the resolution is 1920x1200 or less a simple adopter is OK. For higher resolutions you need a dual-link adapter that cost about $100.You can purchase enclosures that use 3.5 inch HDs and some for 2.5 inch HDs and SSDs that use the nMPs Thunderbolt ports. Some enclosures can house more than one HD/SSD.

Apr 1, 2015 3:08 PM in response to noelmac

noelmac wrote:

CAn an I bring my old Mac to the Apple Store and have the files transferred over to the new Mac?

You should be able to. You may need to setup a Genius Appointment though.

noelmac wrote:

Will I be able to use all of my external drives as external drives on my new Mac.

Your external drives should work essentially the same. Just plug them in like you always have. If you were referring to your internal ones, you may need some

enclosures to put them in, and likely a USB 3.0 Hub or Thunderbolt Dock to have enough ports for all of them.

noelmac wrote:

My HDD's are USB 2.0, is there any conflict with USB 3.0.

No, USB is backwards compatible with USB 2 and 1

noelmac wrote:

My monitor is DVI, can I use that on the new Mac?

Yes, with a thunderbolt/mini display port to DVI adapter.

noelmac wrote:

I have two built in DVD drives, what would I need to do with the new Mac to have 2 DVD' drives?

You would need either external DVD drives or enclosures for your current DVD drives.

noelmac wrote:

Will my present speakers work with the new Mac.

Assuming they are standard 3mm jack speakers Yes. If they are something else, you would need to tell us what they are.

Getting set to get new Mac pro

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.