Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Plz help: Can i type Chinese using an Apple English wireless keyboard?

Kind of struggling between whether should i buy a wireless keyboard for my ipad air 2 as i may have lotta word job related to Chinese and French, and i know that French is okay with the English keyboard, at least much eaiser than typing Chinese characters. So the real concern is, can i properly type Chinese with the wireless keyboard? I've seen some solutions (all didn't mention if it has been proved or not so i automatically assume they are all just beautiful hypotheses) posted in the community claiming you just need go to settings then select the international language you wanna use, and you will be all set (in both virtual and external keyboard)----is that true??? Pleeeease help, thousands of thanks 🙂

iPad Air, iOS 8.2

Posted on Apr 1, 2015 5:01 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 3, 2015 10:28 AM

I think so. Based on the time one person posted asking for help getting his keyboard back to english after accidentally setting it to a foreign language.

The issue....you kinda gotta know the language you're changing it to to change it back.

11 replies

Apr 1, 2015 7:36 PM in response to Skydiver119

Yea, i believe all IME problems with the wireless keyboard can be solved if your native language, or you are multilingual, are all "letter-based" (even with accented letters like French). However it's a whole different story when it comes to "character-based" languages like Chinese or Japanese etc since you will need additional input method to type a letter combination on your keyboard and somehow convert that combination into the exact character you want (which is a pain in the ***), that's why i'm craving here for help and struggling like mad whether should i throw my money into Apple for that little BT keyboard cause i kinda DOUBT if the keyboard can give me a good performance in that case.

Apr 1, 2015 8:10 PM in response to Chloe Violette

Chloe Violette wrote:

it's a whole different story when it comes to "character-based" languages like Chinese or Japanese etc since you will need additional input method to type a letter combination on your keyboard and somehow convert that combination into the exact character you want

But your iPad already has this input method for use with the screen keyboard doesn't it? It should also work with a bluetooth keyboard. Is there an Apple store near you where you could verify it for yourself?

Apr 1, 2015 8:10 PM in response to Tom Gewecke

😊Thank you Tom for the short-cut, i hope so...actually i'm being so unsure is mainly because that Chinese is not included in Apple's official information for the wireless keyboard, making me assume that typing Chinese is not possible...

Seriously, can somebody so kind here in this community who already have a wireless keyboard in arms prove that for me and more else having the same question ? As well as end this problem series😁 ? I'm a bit of a stickler wanting to make my every online transaction worth it (though not that possible), sorry for that kkkkkkk 😝😁

Thanks again 😀

Apr 1, 2015 9:27 PM in response to Chloe Violette

Chloe Violette wrote:

It's the language versions provided with the keyboard, when bring down the choices French is included while Chinese is not.

Yes that refers to the printing on the keys, which is not relevant for what language you can type. That is determined by the software layouts in the OS.

Mainland Chinese normally use a standard US hardware keyboard.

Apr 3, 2015 10:28 AM in response to Chloe Violette

Boom here i back. First of all i have to say that Amazon Prime delivery speed is aaaaawesome! Placed my order yesterday and got my new shiny wireless keyboard right in TODAY'S MORNING! Thanks Amazon.

And switch back to the topic. So thrilled to unwrap my package and write down this review here----Yes, absoluately this keyboard can type Chinese, just tried on it and received a perfect performance along with a fluent typing experience. Well, actually, it can undertake all different languages that preset in the ipad software without any problem, thus the language versions provided to the keyboard is just a matter of layouts, which is absoluately not relevant, like Tom said, for what language you can type.

There's one thing need to be mentioned though, if your keyboard is an English version, when you wanna type accented letters like French or special symbols, you may have to memorize some certain keys and then press the "option" button at the same time to bring up the hidden stuff you want since there's nothing but just English letters printed on each key.

Furthermore, the design is simple but stylish, super thin and feather-light, always ready to go, make a fantastic pair with my ipad and now they are officially couples kkkkkkkkkk. Have to admit that Apple always make good-looking products.

Regarding to the battery life, ummmmmmmm...have no idea right now as it's a brandnew boy, but referring to most of other folks, let's say the battery can last for months even with an everyday-use, i hope so....Nous allons attendre et voir ! 😀

As for those who don't know how to tell the keyboard is on/off, just tried on mine, to turn it off, simply press the big home botton on the side and hold for seconds till the green lil light goes out (usually takes 3 seconds or so), if you wanna double check, just hit a key randomly and you will notice that no further letters appear on your screen due to the disconnection of the keyboard.

So, all in all, if you like this keyboard and you are a heavy word job person, go for it, no concern leave behind. (Apple should really pay me advertising fees for all these words and i'm tired out for typing already kkkkkkkk)

Hoping this helps 🙂

Chloe

Plz help: Can i type Chinese using an Apple English wireless keyboard?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.