Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Does upgrading to the i7 processor on the MacBook Air reduce battery life?di

Hi

I'm on a tight budget and I have decided to get the MacBook air 11 inch. I'm into heavy photoshop work and light video editing for my YouTube channel.. Most of the time, I'm in areas that do not have a charging socket, so battery life is an important factor for me... I'll be upgrading the RAM to 8GBs, but I'm not able to decide on should I upgrade the processor to the 2.2 ghz i7 as I have a feeling that it might reduce the battery life... Please help me out, and even if it does affect the battery, can someone give me like an approximate on the kind of decrease I'll be seeing?

Thank You Very Much!

iPad Air Wi-Fi, iOS 7.0.6

Posted on Apr 1, 2015 2:11 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 1, 2015 9:47 PM

More RAM will decrease battery life, but except for differences in clock speed i5 and i7 CPUs with the same number of cores use about the same amount of power.

The real area of a problem is that the GPUs are no likely the best for "heavy" PS work or video editing. You need a 15" quad-core model or a desktop Mac for that work.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 1, 2015 9:47 PM in response to Priyaanshu

More RAM will decrease battery life, but except for differences in clock speed i5 and i7 CPUs with the same number of cores use about the same amount of power.

The real area of a problem is that the GPUs are no likely the best for "heavy" PS work or video editing. You need a 15" quad-core model or a desktop Mac for that work.

Does upgrading to the i7 processor on the MacBook Air reduce battery life?di

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.