Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

In Messages, my phone number is in gray. Why cannot I be reached in iMessage using my phone number?

Why is my phone number is gray... indicating that iMessage will not work on my phone? It has always worked. I changed my Apple ID password and now I do not have iMessage on my phone. Any ideas? Thank you.

iPhone 6 Plus, iOS 8.1.1

Posted on Apr 1, 2015 2:43 PM

17 replies

Apr 1, 2015 2:47 PM in response to expat93

Gray means it cannot be turned off. Its gray on mine too. What it means is on your iPhone You cannot not be reachable at your number by iMessage of FaceTime. It should have a checkmark next to it.

FaceTime and iMessage must alway be able to use your cell number so it can never be un checked. As long as it has a checkmark next to it its fine eventhough it looks gray.

Apr 1, 2015 3:34 PM in response to expat93

Mine has been acting up all day like this. Was perfectly fine last night. Grey bubble for texts sent to me, and blue bubbles when I send text to iPhone users. This morning, without doing anything different to my phone other then texting, it was green bubbles when I send to iPhone users. And no replies ALL DAY. I texted Android users I know, and they received my texts, and I received theirs. Just when I got home, I finally received a text from my brother. But when I replied back, it was still a green bubble. But he tells me, it's blue for him when he sends to other iPhone users. Yes, iMessage is turned on. Short of resetting my phone to factory, I've done all the troubleshooting involved with fixing iMessage issues. All of it. No luck.

Apr 1, 2015 3:58 PM in response to expat93

Not for me. I haven't seen or even heard of that message appearing on iPhones. Must be a new thing Apple pushed to some iPhones.

All I know was it has been working fine, until this morning. Without doing anything different. Very annoying. And yes, especially for people in your situation, you end up spending money on sms messages.

Where did the message come up for you. Did it just pop up on your phone's screen?

Apr 1, 2015 4:08 PM in response to ckuan

Yes, both my number and email address is attached. Always has been. Nothing has changed since last night when it was working fine.

I did forget to mention that when I tried sending texts this morning, it was a blue bubble. Then it gave me the "not delivered" message, then my phone resent the text as an SMS. This happened to the first 3 texts I sent out. After that, it's been stuck on SMS. I've rebooted, turned iMessage on and off, removed signed off and on my AppleID, and I even reset the network settings. That is as far as I will go with resetting anything.

Apr 1, 2015 4:19 PM in response to ckuan

No weak connections at work, or at home. Before today, even sending iMessages through LTE was no issue. The only other time this happened was because iMessage server was down (that was about a year ago). Which is why I was asking if anyone else had issues. My brother doesn't seem to have any, or any of my co-workers. In my circle, it would just seem to be my phone. Again, was working perfectly fine, until this morning. With me doing nothing different. Unless I was sleepwalking and messed with my phone and I don't remember it. lol

Apr 2, 2015 7:02 AM in response to expat93

Nope. Still green bubbles coming up for me when I send texts to iPhone users. It's gotta be my phone, or my account. Either way, I've exhausted all troubleshooting, except resetting my phone to factory, which I refuse to do. Most of the time that this asked to be done to "fix", it doesn't work. Then I spend hours putting my phone back to the way I had it. I'll probably just go to Apple Store and get it replaced. If I have to reset my phone, I would prefer I at least get a new one. Good thing I have 2 years of Apple Care. ;-)

Oh Apple, you have succumb to being on top. Your quality has given way to quantity. lol

In Messages, my phone number is in gray. Why cannot I be reached in iMessage using my phone number?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.