Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to PERMANENTLY delete a photo from iPhoto?

Hello everyone,

I've encountered with a weird situation. After I make iPhoto trash empty, the "deleted" files still remain in the iPhoto library (in my case in Previews folder). I use managed library (pictures stored inside the iPhoto library itself). I tried to recover scavenged photos with iPhoto Library Manager (Re: Iphoto glitch with retained masters). It didn't help. I cannot access these files from iPhoto - app considers them as permanently deleted. Nevertheless, I still see them in Finder. iPhoto v. 9.6.1; Mac OSX Yosemite v. 10.10.2. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Posted on Apr 1, 2015 3:10 PM

17 replies

Apr 1, 2015 3:12 PM in response to murick11

After deleting from iPhoto and emptying the iPhoto trash the files should go to the System Trash. Empty that too.

If that doesn't work then the library is corrupted, so rebuild it:

IDownload iPhoto Library Managerand use its rebuild function. (In early versions of Library Manager it's the File -> Rebuild command. In later versions it's under the Library menu.)

This will create an entirely new library. It will then copy (or try to) your photos and all the associated metadata and versions to this new Library, and arrange it as close as it can to what you had in the damaged Library. It does this based on information it finds in the iPhoto sharing mechanism - but that means that things not shared won't be there, so no slideshows, books or calendars, for instance - but it should get all your events, albums and keywords, faces and places back.

Because this process creates an entirely new library and leaves your old one untouched, it is non-destructive, and if you're not happy with the results you can simply return to your old one.

Then trash the old library.

Apr 1, 2015 11:01 PM in response to murick11

After brief googling I found a tool CleanMyMac - http://macpaw.com/cleanmymac. It has option to scan iPhoto library and detect hidden and duplicate files. Having scanned my iPhoto library I detected a great number of duplicate files (cropped, rotated, enhanced, and so on.). After I deleted those duplicates the library size decreased from 9.4Gb. to 5.5 Gb. The only inevitable "drawback" of this method is that original files are lost - you won't be able to rotate image back or uncrop it.

Apr 1, 2015 11:37 PM in response to murick11

Oh dear. You've just trashed your iPhoto Library. All your high quality originals been replaced by lower quality previews. Really, that app is lethal to iPhoto Libraries and to Macs in general. Get rid of it. I hope you have a back up. Do you really thing that almost half the data in the iPhoto Library is waste?

Apr 2, 2015 12:01 AM in response to murick11

I double checked size of the duplicate files before deleting it. For comparison: file A (original) 2.2 Mb. and file B (modified) 1.9 Mb. I don't think I lost files with better quality.

It is no longer the original. The iPhoto previews are new jPEGs derived from the original. The JPEG compression is lossy, otherwise the file size would not decrease. You will notice slight differences along the edges, maybe some JPEG artefacts.

It will not matter much, when viewing the image, but subsequent edits will not be as good as from the original image, for example edge sharpening.

Apr 2, 2015 12:13 AM in response to Yer_Man

First, I am not trashing the library. As I mentioned before, I compared size of files before running cleaning procedure. It is up to user to choose whether he needs "imperfect" original file (not correctly cropped, or mis-adjusted), or improved preview version of one. In my case I prefer the latter option. Supposedly, preview version of a file is smaller because of cropped area.

Second, I am not advertising this tool, I just mention the way one can benefit from using it. Obviously one should think twice what is the best option for him/her. You might be surprised, but I'm not questioning the usage of non-destructive app. Rule of thumb: always make a backup before modifying something 🙂

Regarding the missing files: during cleaning procedure they were also detected as original files without duplicates. I deleted them long time ago and I have no idea why they were still remaining in the library.

By the way, pardon my ignorance, but why do you think this tool is dangerous to Mac? Does it do something with system files?

Apr 2, 2015 12:21 AM in response to murick11

First, I am not trashing the library.

You've just annihilated the non-destructive processing feature. From now, all further interactions - edits, exports, sharing, printing - will be based on the lower quality preview. Not sure what you call that, but that's removing a major feature of the iPhoto Library, pretty much the entire point of the Library.

Supposedly, preview version of a file is smaller because of cropped area.

No it's not, though that will be a fraction if it. As Léonie explained, JPG is lossy, so more data has been thrown away. It happens every time you edit and save a JPG. Back to that non-destructive processing thing again.

Second, I am not advertising this tool, I just mention the way one can benefit from using it.

Yes, but there's a courtesy here: when you suggest a course of action that causes dataloss you should point that out.

You might be surprised, but I'm not questioning the usage of non-destructive app.

But you are... See above.

Regarding the missing files: during cleaning procedure they were also detected as original files without duplicates. I deleted them long time ago and I have no idea why they were still remaining in the library.

Because you're library was corrupted. Which is what we were working on fixing. Non-destructively.

y the way, pardon my ignorance, but why do you think this tool is dangerous to Mac? Does it do something with system files?

Search the forum for the many, many threads from folks who had had major issues after using the app. Remember, your Mac doesn't get "dirty", it doesn't need "cleaning".

Apr 2, 2015 12:28 AM in response to murick11

Léonie, where are the original files? I thought they're stored in the Masters folder.

They are, unless you let "Cleaning" apps interfere with the iPhoto Library.

CleanMyMac2 deletes the original from the Masters folder and replaces it by the preview of the edited version. iPhoto will now use the edited version as a new original file. When I tested this, I found that this surgery was implemented incorrectly, for some of my images the new "Originals" were wrong and some of my photos lost completely. Perhaps this bug has been fixed, but I I am glad I tested only on a redundant test library.

Apr 2, 2015 1:01 AM in response to Yer_Man

Ok, let me summarize the debate.

Regarding non-destructiveness and so-called trashing of a library: remember what I wrote: Rule of thumb: always make a backup before modifying something 🙂

Regarding dataloss that I should have pointed out: once again I explicitly mentioned The only inevitable "drawback" of this method is that original files are lost - you won't be able to rotate image back or uncrop it.

Regarding missing files: I initiated the topic to find out how to restore them and delete PERMANENTLY. In the beginning I clearly stated that I tried to recover scavenged photos with iPhoto Library Manager. It didn't help.

Regarding possible danger of the tool to Mac: I thought you made this conclusion based on your own experience. I read many forum threads: some people blame it, some satisfied. So I decided to check it out myself. You'll never know for sure until you try. But of course keeping in mind rule of thumb 🙂

Thank you very much for help.

Apr 2, 2015 1:02 AM in response to léonie

Léonie, I created a backup of the iPhoto library before I ran CleanMyMac. I have two libraries now: before and after modification. Some files were not affected by the cleaning as they didn't have duplicates (I left them unchanged). If "CleanMyMac2 deletes the original from the Masters folder and replaces them by the preview of the edited version" then the files should differ in both libraries. I checked them, they remain same in both versions within the corresponding Masters folders. I assume, cleaning procedure didn't affect the original files.

Thank you for help!

How to PERMANENTLY delete a photo from iPhoto?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.