Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

firefox and GB?

well, kind of a long story, I will try to make it shorter

I have kind of switched around with internet browsers I think 3 or 4 times now, while I was with google chrome and playing minecraft, things would get laggy, I found out that chrome and minecraft don't like eachother ( which is when I think I started getting a bit worried about the ram/GB/whatever that is called ) so I switched to firefox, and then after using that for a while I switched to opera for a few reasons ( some problems that I fixed by now )

Is it normal that the GBs start going down when I use firefox? right now it is at 3.84, nothing really seems to be going on with my computer and everything is rather smooth, but the GBs go down slowly over time, I restart firefox to bring it back up to somewhere like 4:30 or maybe a bit higher ( when firefox isn't on it is 5:18 or 5:30 or in between there )

I have firefox ( which has 6 tabs open ) skype, activity monitor, and paint tool SAI on, am I just paranoid about this? I wanna know how much GB is normal for imacs

and also I had to change from safari because safari seemed to start giving me problems and I'm not sure I like safari anymore

OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.4)

Posted on Apr 1, 2015 4:36 PM

11 replies

Apr 8, 2015 6:07 PM in response to babowa

thank you, it might just be me being such a worry wart, I don't see any page outs right now, it is 0

but are you sure nothing is wrong? I'm not sure about this, but I think I heard that firefox has a bug that causes memory leaks, is that true?

long story shortened, yesterday I was recording with OBS on minecraft ( I also had firefox, skype, and maybe SAI open ) and I had to stop because it was getting late, when I checked activity monitor, it was down to I think 2.90 or somewhere around there, I forgot but I tried not to worry about that and went to bed, in the morning before school, I checked again, it was all the way up to 4.30 or around there again, the ram seems to jump around or something

Apr 8, 2015 6:16 PM in response to electrical-dragon

What OS are you on?

The way the OS works with RAM was radically changed in Yosemite and you will see there that it uses ALL the RAM all/most of the time. That is how it is designed to work = as the saying goes: unused RAM is wasted RAM. So, if you are running an older OS, you will have available RAM whereas with Yosemite, there won't be that much of it - as long as things work well, there are no problems.

If you had a memory leak, you'd have symptoms. Do a search here for memory leaks - the posts I've seen were all about Safari, not Firefox.

firefox and GB?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.