Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Is it possible to filter email on an iOS device?

I subscribe to a mailing list which generates dozens of emails daily. I have no desire to deal with these emails on my iOS devices. Instead I use Mac Mail. Is there a way to filter out these emails instead having to scroll through an delete them all the time?

iPhone 6, iOS 8.2

Posted on Apr 1, 2015 4:26 PM

8 replies

Apr 1, 2015 5:02 PM in response to Starfish Jim

I haven't used iCloud email in years. However, Gmail offers a filter option that lets me filter certain emails (e.g. Notifications from this forum) to a separate folder and to skip the Inbox entirely. My recollection is that iCloud filters aren't quite as sophisticated but you should be able to create a rule that moves those emails to another folder.

Apr 1, 2015 5:13 PM in response to Starfish Jim

Oh, sorry, when you said you were using Mac Mail, I made an incorrect assumption. The mail program you're using on a computer has no bearing on this.

Are you using a POP3 account? Or an IMAP account? They are fairly different. If you're using a POP3 account with no ability to set filters on the server, no there's not much you can do. If it's IMAP, are you sure your provider doesn't offer any web interface?

Another option would be to set up another email account just for news letters and so forth. That way, you could just look at that account when you wanted to see the news letters buy your "regular" account would have a much less cluttered inbox.

Apr 1, 2015 10:15 PM in response to IdrisSeabright

Sorry to confuse the issue with the reference to Mac Mail. It wasn't germane to the discussion and I shouldn't have mentioned it.

I can access my email via either POP3 or IMAP. But it doesn't matter either way since I don't think a filter on the server side is going to help. It would need to know what device was connecting to it to decide what mail to deliver.

The suggestion of creating a separate email account for list subscriptions was my last ditch plan. I was hoping that there was some kind of filtering in iOS that I hadn't found.

Is it possible to filter email on an iOS device?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.