Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Stop the animated/flashing boxes when tabbing

Anyone know how to make the highlighted box around fields stop being animated/flashing when you tab between them? It's really annoying and in certain programs like Quickbooks when I'm rapidly tabbing between fields it's like a strobing effect that gives me a headache. To see what I'm talking about open up a finder window or calendar for instance, and click in and out of the search box. See how the highlighted border around the box quickly expands and contracts?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

MacBook Pro, OS X Yosemite (10.10.2)

Posted on Apr 1, 2015 5:13 PM

9 replies

Apr 3, 2015 3:47 AM in response to Boedacious

I hate this effect too. In fact I hate nearly all OSX animations and I thinks it's very poor that there are no options to disable them.

The blue flashes appear in Finder menus - for example the "save as" menu within an app (regardless of whether it's an Apple or third-party app). The various fields in the menu flash a blue outline as you tab between them. (Image attached.)

It's driving me insane!!!! I'm performing lots of these actions every day and it makes me wince every time it flashes at me.

Surely it would be a simple matter to include an on/off switch in Preferences? Along with an on/off for all the other stupid and pointless animations.

If only the programmers could devote their energies to useful graphic effects, like making web pages scroll without jerking, or the ability to navigate through a PDF page without it jerking around the screen.

iMac late 2013 | 2.7 Ghz i5 | 8GB | Intel Iris Pro | OS X 10.10.2

User uploaded file

Apr 3, 2015 4:28 AM in response to Neil Hutchings

Neil Hutchings wrote:

Surely it would be a simple matter to include an on/off switch in Preferences? Along with an on/off for all the other stupid and pointless animations.

You can turn it of in Secrets, and likely other utilities like OnyX.

In Secrets, it is called Global User Interface Focus Ring Animation Enabled.

http://secrets.blacktree.com/

You can turn it off in Terminal with this:

defaults write -g NSUseAnimatedFocusRing NO

You might need to log out and log back in after setting it.

If only the programmers could devote their energies to useful graphic effects, like making web pages scroll without jerking, or the ability to navigate through a PDF page without it jerking around the screen.

My web pages and pdfs scroll smoothly using a Magic Trackpad.

Apr 3, 2015 3:35 PM in response to Boedacious

Copy the command I posted above starting with the word , defaults. you can select the entire line by triple clicking it then copy. Open terminal, which can be found in the utilities folder, and paste the command into the window.

HIt return.

To use secrets, you would have to download the preference pane and install it. The above seems easier for my grandma I think; however, I don't think she was alive during the age of any computer.

Stop the animated/flashing boxes when tabbing

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.