Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Cannot print PDF file on my HP 1200 Series Laserjet printer.

I have a Mac computer 27inch which has been working well with my HP 1200 Laserjet printer until about two months ago. I am wondering if the newest update for my operating system has caused a conflict. It sits and spends many minutes trying to load the file to the printer, then just acts like it has already done it and the printer screen shows that is is completed. My operating system is OS X 10.9.5 (Maverick) Have not been able to use printer, I have another printer that is Epson all in one and it works fine, but the ink is expensive compared to the use of my Laserjet printer.

Thanks for any help on this.

iMac, OS X Mavericks (10.9.5), OS X 10.9.5

Posted on Apr 1, 2015 6:17 PM

10 replies

Apr 1, 2015 9:14 PM in response to leroy5471

Is it only PDF's that you cannot print? If yes, then try an alternate application to open and print the PDF. For example, if you are using Preview, then install Adobe Acrobat Reader or PDF Reader X and see if you can print without error.

Also, some printers have a Direct Print function that allows you to download a PDF directly to the printer via its internal web page. This feature helps in determining if you have a driver issue or a printer issue. If the LaserJet is networked, enter its IP address into a web browser to connect to the internal web page and then have a look for this PDF printing feature. Note that it may be called something different to Direct Print or it may not even support such a feature.

Apr 1, 2015 9:26 PM in response to PAHU

My printer is so old, 15 years I believe, it does not have wi fi. It has worked great until just the last couple of months. I guess it cannot be on my network except as it is directly wired to my Mac.

I have also seen a error message pop up on my screen saying that someone else on my network is also using my IP address. I really don't understand what that means. It occasionally does this and states the ip address number. I don't know how to search and find another ip address or to change it on my Mac. We have three computers and several cell phones in the house plus an Ipad and Ipod. So I guess we have at least 9 connections to the network. Just don't know how to identify each IP number and who is using what.

I have gotten it to print a pdf file finally. It has been getting slower and slower in printing the files. Sometimes 10 minutes till it finally prints. Even for one page. Other times it

has not printed at all. I appreciate your input, It gives me a few more ideas. I may need to download an updated Adobe Reader. I feel like I am getting close.

Thanks so much for you input.

Apr 2, 2015 12:05 AM in response to leroy5471

leroy5471 wrote:

I have also seen a error message pop up on my screen saying that someone else on my network is also using my IP address. I really don't understand what that means. It occasionally does this and states the ip address number. I don't know how to search and find another ip address or to change it on my Mac. We have three computers and several cell phones in the house plus an Ipad and Ipod. So I guess we have at least 9 connections to the network. Just don't know how to identify each IP number and who is using what.

If you have all of your network devices set to DHCP, then your wireless router is responsible for allocating an IP address to each device. If there is one or more devices not set to DHCP, then this is when you can get a message about a device already using the same IP address.

To check what IP addresses have been allocated to all network devices you can connect to the wireless router web page. Here there should be a page that displays each device connected to the router and what IP address it is using.

leroy5471 wrote:

I have gotten it to print a pdf file finally. It has been getting slower and slower in printing the files. Sometimes 10 minutes till it finally prints. Even for one page. Other times it

has not printed at all. I appreciate your input, It gives me a few more ideas. I may need to download an updated Adobe Reader. I feel like I am getting close.

If you have been using Acrobat Reader every time this PDF does not print then try opening the PDF in Preview to see if you get the same symptom.

Also, if you prefer to use Acrobat Reader, from the print dialog you will see an Advanced button next to the printer name. Opening this will show a check button titled "Print as Image". This can help with PDFs that contain layering, in that it will flatten the PDF by converting it to a raster file before sending it to the printer. While this can result in creating a larger spool file that can then result in the transfer from the Mac to the printer taking longer, it often helps with getting some PDF files to print.

Apr 2, 2015 12:03 PM in response to PAHU

For the original Poster (OP) and especially for notcloudy!

Have you checked the HP site for current driver that works with Maverick?

It is important to know that HP recommends you use the automatic software install system that is part of Apple's Software Update:

From HP:

NOTE:

Where is the download button? The HP printer driver is built into Apple’s Software Update feature on your Mac computer. Your printer is likely supported through Apple Software Update and you do not need to download anything from a website in order to print, scan, or fax.

Read more:

http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c04510394

Downloading drivers is History!

To force OS X to find the correct driver, try Resetting the Printing System:

Mac OS X: How to reset the printing system - Apple Support

Apr 2, 2015 10:05 AM in response to greg sahli

greg sahli wrote:

For the original Poster (OP) and especially for notcloudy!

Have you checked the HP site for current driver that works with Maverick?

It is important to know that HP recommends you use the automatic software install system that is part of Apple's Software Update:

Greg - notice the site I listed also included support forums.

As in a later Post the OP listed the age of the printer as 15 years old - he may be better off looking at HP support forums to see if anyone is running the same age/type printer with Mavericks -- and if it requires a firmware update along with a new driver.

Apple does not list what 3rd party software and/or hardware will no longer work with their operating system updates - so before updating OS its up to the user to check the sites to see if hardware/software will still work.

Cannot print PDF file on my HP 1200 Series Laserjet printer.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.