Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iTunes 11 Movie/TV Show library not seeing some items

I ripped my DVD of a TV show. All 4 discs done the same day with the same version .9.9 of Handbrake.

3 of the resultant m4v files show in the library as Home Movies. 17 do not show in any Library. They play in iTunes fine when double clicked from Finder.

I've tried dumping them quitting iTunes and reloading. Restarted the MBA and tried again.

MacBook Air, OS X Mavericks (10.9.4)

Posted on Apr 1, 2015 7:53 PM

6 replies

Apr 1, 2015 8:11 PM in response to Fritz Lang1

If something plays in iTunes then it has been added. If you're not seeing it you need to hunt around. You'd probably be better off using a third party mp4 tag editor to get things labeled correctly before importing to iTunes.

Um, I wouldn't openly state you are ripping DVDs of TV shows. That is still illegal in the USA and Apple, probably who has to stay on the good side of the media companies who provide things to sell in the iTunes Store, is very sensitive about the subject (to the extent this topic may disappear).

Apr 2, 2015 6:36 AM in response to Fritz Lang1

Fritz Lang1 wrote:

Unless I'm mistaken, if I own the DVD/CD/LP etc, I can rip it til my hearts content.

Yes, you are mistaken, not just about any commercially produced DVD. The actual illegal act isn't the copying, it is breaking the encryption (or using software to do so) that is required to yield a functioning copy of the files. If you try to do a legal rip of simply copying the files to a hard drive you will likely discover the computer sees them as corrupt. It is legal to rip CDs because they do not have this encryption, but the movie industry managed to get the very act of ripping most DVDs illegal. Read online about the actual legal cases, not somebody simply saying, "I own the movie so I have the right to do with it what I want!" (Wrong, they do not own the movie, they bought a piece of plastic and certain tightly controlled rights to view what it on it). Also do not confuse US laws (which is what this web site follows) with changes made in a few countries such as Britain regarding backup.

iTunes 11 Movie/TV Show library not seeing some items

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.