Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Get hot on Time Capsule 4th generation (2011 summer)

What can I do now?!

Posted on Apr 1, 2015 9:06 PM

4 replies

Apr 1, 2015 11:05 PM in response to brucepeng86

Improve the cooling.

Open the TC and apply some basic cooling improvements.

Mod the fan.. improve the ventilation.

https://sites.google.com/site/lapastenague/a-deconstruction-of-routers-and-modem s/apple-time-capsule-repair/apple-time-c…

But at 4 years old now it has passed the point of no trouble operation.. in fact many of the die at 2 years.. and even after a lot of work it might still fail the next day.. Modern stuff is made of a 3year replacement cycle.. seriously think about a new one.

Apr 1, 2015 11:52 PM in response to brucepeng86

brucepeng86 wrote:

I bought a secondhand Time Capsule this morning, and I noticed that many users got this problem.

Can I remove the rubber and then use a fan to make it cool?

Yes, remove the rubber mat.. it is held on with pretty strong glue so heat it up with a hair dryer or heat gun until it is as hot as you can touch.. and peel it off slowly.. keep the heat running if it catches..

Then remove the aluminium bottom plate.. Drill some holes in it.. and you can sit the unit on a laptop cooler or something like that.. but you need to seal the TC to the base and it is better to reverse the flow of air.. ie suck air through the TC and out the bottom of the cooler.. trying to blow air into the TC won't work very well.. if you do a neat job of it .. should come up nice.. but IMHO it is better to simply try and improve it using internal fan..

Drill out the holes as shown in the kit page on my website.

Make sure you stand the TC on feet of 8-10mm so there is plenty of space and leave the rubber mat off.. although you should protect it against contact.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.