Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

need to turn on ipad screen with air gesture. possible?

Hi. I am helping a disabled person to set up his ipad in the following way: make a gesture above the ipad to turn it on so he can read the screen. Is that possible? I assume the ipad would have to be on all the time but the screen needs to auto dim and then come back to life when an infrared sensor detects a swipe. I assume infrared is the way to go but I guess the built in camera could also be used to turn on the screen when a certain motion is detected. Anyone? thanks

Posted on Apr 1, 2015 6:45 PM

4 replies

Apr 1, 2015 6:52 PM in response to karottana

I'm not sure if that's possible, not natively anyway.

i do know you can set it to never power off - however the iPad would need to be plugged in or they'll have a very short battery life simply because it's always on.

If someone here doesn't know something you may want to google some accessibility forums or the such to see if there are any apps that can help it do what you want it to do

Apr 1, 2015 9:18 PM in response to karottana

karottana wrote:

Hi. I am helping a disabled person to set up his ipad in the following way: make a gesture above the ipad to turn it on so he can read the screen. Is that possible? I assume the ipad would have to be on all the time but the screen needs to auto dim and then come back to life when an infrared sensor detects a swipe. I assume infrared is the way to go but I guess the built in camera could also be used to turn on the screen when a certain motion is detected. Anyone? thanks

The iPad doesn't have any built in infrared sensor. So, unless your talking about an accessory, it's not the way to go.

Apr 2, 2015 3:18 PM in response to karottana

This is a general user-to-user tech support forum. You're asking about a fairly specialized use case. I don't know of anyone on this forum with much experience in this area. You might be better off looking for forum or site that specializes in such uses. I did a quick internet search for "iPad assistive technology" and came up with a lot of hits. For example:

http://alsassistivetechnology.blogspot.com/2013/09/hands-free-access-to-ipad-via -switch.html

If you find a site that has some suggestions that seem like they might be in the area you're looking for, contact the people who run the site. They may have more suggestions.

Best of luck.

need to turn on ipad screen with air gesture. possible?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.