Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

After Yosemite, Safari became painfully slow.

Hi,

Ever since I upgraded the OS on my MacBook Pro "17 to Yosemite, Safari has been painfully slow. It takes almost 10 mins to open up the first page. I tried FirFox and it ran well. But I don't really wanna switch. Because Safari bookmarks are sincing with my iPhone. Any suggestions?

MacBook Pro, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8), iPhone 4S Black, iPod nano

Posted on Apr 1, 2015 7:32 PM

8 replies

Apr 2, 2015 8:16 AM in response to Jong Su

Safari/Preferences/Advanced - enable the Develop menu, then go there and Empty Caches. Quit/reopen Safari and test. Then try Safari/History/Show History and delete all history items. Quit/reopen Safari and test. You can also try try Safari/Clear History and Web Site Data. The down side is it clears all cookies.Doing this may cause some sites to no longer recognize your computer as one that has visited the web site.

Apr 2, 2015 1:32 PM in response to Jong Su

Eric's guidance does the same thing (more or less) but from a different (and better) direction. The loss of the cookies Eric refers to is a temporary loss though, because the moment you go back to the sites the cookies will be inserted again and you will be recognised. No question about the Firefox preference, it is far more regularly security updated than Safari.

After Yosemite, Safari became painfully slow.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.