Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

F7 F8 F9 Keys on Apple Keyboard stopped working with iTunes

Have a Mac Mini with Apple Bluetooth keyboard. TheF7 F8F9 keys no longer are working to control my iTunes player. Will not play/pause, back or forward to next songs. Used to work with iTunes in the background. Now I have to have the app open and can advance it using the arrow keys.

This suddenly stopped working 2 weeks ago. I have seen fixed in other threads suggesting to remove Google Music. I don't have this and have checked the google browser shortcuts. I have also looked at other apps that were recently updated to see if any of the keyboard shortcuts were highjacked and they seem fine. Any other suggestions?

Thx!

Mac mini (Late 2012), OS X Yosemite (10.10.2), Apple Bluetooth Keyboard

Posted on Apr 1, 2015 8:55 PM

2 replies

Apr 4, 2015 11:40 AM in response to atornomar

Hello atornomar,

Thanks for using Apple Support Communities.

If the function keys on your keyboard are not performing their specialized function, then I'd like you to verify that a keyboard setting has not been enabled by accident. If the option outlined below is enabled, then simply disable it.

If you prefer the top row of keys to always behave as standard function keys without holding the Fn key:

1. Choose System Preferences from the Apple menu.
  2. From the View menu, choose Keyboard.
  3. Click the Keyboard tab if it is not already selected
  4. Enable "Use all F1, F2, etc. keys as standard function keys."

With this option enabled, the top row of keys acts as standard function keys (F1 - F12). To use a feature indicated by the icon printed on a key, hold Fn while pressing the key.

How to change the behavior of function keys on your Mac - Apple Support

Have a good one,

Alex H.

Apr 16, 2015 9:48 AM in response to chuck_3rd

Alex H, Thanks for the reply. I did see this response in other threads and have verified that these were disabled.

However, I just got back from a vacation and the keys are working back to normal now!!?!? The Mac Mini was in sleep the whole time and not shut down. Not sure what happened but it's ok and working as it was for the past 1.5 years.

Thanks again! Will keep you posted if something changes again.

F7 F8 F9 Keys on Apple Keyboard stopped working with iTunes

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.