Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

how do I manage duplicate songs and know which one to delete?

my library has over 17K songs many of which
are duplicates and triplicates some with an exclamation mark next to it.
I know how to filter for duplicates but don't know which one I should delete.
Don't understand how to do it or how it keeps happening. I know I've
tried before but it seems I'm deleting the wrong one.

iPad

Posted on Apr 1, 2015 8:19 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 1, 2015 11:45 PM

The ones with exclamation marks against them mean that they are no longer on your hard drive (or external drive, if using a PC that may be because it's been given a different drive letter when you reconnected the drive) that iTunes is expecting to find them - if they are some that are showing as duplicates then you can delete those missing entries.

If using windows then see if this post by turingtest2 helps : Duplicate songs

As to why it keeps happening, it depends upon what you are doing. If you repost in the relevant forum on here (there are separate forums for iTunes For Windows and iTunes For Mac) you may get some help as to why and how to stop it

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 1, 2015 11:45 PM in response to Xnyrkers

The ones with exclamation marks against them mean that they are no longer on your hard drive (or external drive, if using a PC that may be because it's been given a different drive letter when you reconnected the drive) that iTunes is expecting to find them - if they are some that are showing as duplicates then you can delete those missing entries.

If using windows then see if this post by turingtest2 helps : Duplicate songs

As to why it keeps happening, it depends upon what you are doing. If you repost in the relevant forum on here (there are separate forums for iTunes For Windows and iTunes For Mac) you may get some help as to why and how to stop it

how do I manage duplicate songs and know which one to delete?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.