Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Announcement

Introducing the iPad Pro with Apple M4 chip, the redesigned iPad Air in two sizes, and the all‑new Apple Pencil Pro. Watch the event >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple Mail program does not open

apple mail is no longer working. The program crashes when I try to open it on my iPad2 running iOS 8.2. How do I get the mailrogrm working again?

iPad 2, iOS 8.2

Posted on Apr 1, 2015 10:09 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 4, 2015 12:00 PM

Hello nnass,

Welcome to the Apple Support Communities!

I understand that the Mail application on your iPad is not opening when you select it. To troubleshoot this situation, there are two different steps that I would recommend.

First, I would suggest closing Mail completely using the steps in the following attached article.

Force an app to close in iOS - Apple Support

After Mail has been closed, please reset your device using the instructions in the following article.

Restart or reset your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support

When your iPhone finishes the reset, try to open and use Mail fresh.

Have a great day,

Joe

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 4, 2015 12:00 PM in response to nnass

Hello nnass,

Welcome to the Apple Support Communities!

I understand that the Mail application on your iPad is not opening when you select it. To troubleshoot this situation, there are two different steps that I would recommend.

First, I would suggest closing Mail completely using the steps in the following attached article.

Force an app to close in iOS - Apple Support

After Mail has been closed, please reset your device using the instructions in the following article.

Restart or reset your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support

When your iPhone finishes the reset, try to open and use Mail fresh.

Have a great day,

Joe

Apr 7, 2015 2:56 PM in response to nnass

Hi nnass,

If the issue with Mail continues, there is another step I would recommend. Use the information in the attached article to place your iPad into recovery mode manually and perform and update. This will reinstall the iPhone Operating System without erasing any of your data.

If your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch doesn't respond or doesn't turn on - Apple Support

1. Make sure that you have iTunes 12 or later on your computer.
  2. Put your device in recovery mode.
  3. When you get the option to restore or update, select Update. This will reinstall iOS without erasing your data.

Cheers,

Joe

Apple Mail program does not open

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.