Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Networking

Hey all.

I've got a 2014 MBP 2.5gHZ. I use Logic Pro X quite a lot and I've just bought a Thunderbolt display which I've been using to double up my displays to maximise my workflow.

I've been thinking about a Mac Mini so that i can do more mobile recording with the MBP and more static stuff and the mixing stage on the Mac mini.

My questions are;

At work I am connected to a network (PC) and whichever computer I put my credentials into I have the exact same information instantly on any computer. What would the best way be to set this up at home with the MBP and Mac Mini? Is there a way to do this by setting up a server on one of my Macs so I don't have to buy anything else? I'd prefer not to use a dropbox type thing. I'd prefer it to be like 'record a track on Logic on the MBP, open the Mac Mini, open Logic, continue working on the same track, with the same information.'

Will the Mac mini dual-core i5 2.8GHz be capable of running Logic to a high standard? I guess I will be doing all the bounces and mixes on the Mac Mini, so a good hard drive speed is essential. Is the Fusion drive comparable to a good SSD?

Am I able to connect my MBP to the Mini to use as an external monitor along with my Thunderbolt Display? Would it be able to handle two displays?

Thanks.

Logic Pro X, OS X Mavericks (10.9.3)

Posted on Apr 1, 2015 11:16 PM

12 replies

Apr 2, 2015 2:51 AM in response to PhilUK1984

At work I am connected to a network (PC) and whichever computer I put my credentials into I have the exact same information instantly on any computer. What would the best way be to set this up at home with the MBP and Mac Mini? Is there a way to do this by setting up a server on one of my Macs so I don't have to buy anything else? I'd prefer not to use a dropbox type thing. I'd prefer it to be like 'record a track on Logic on the MBP, open the Mac Mini, open Logic, continue working on the same track, with the same information.'

At this point, Logic Pro X doesn't have any iCloud integration or

Yosemite Handoff features. Only solution would be to use

iCloud Drive to share the work file at this point or one of the other cloud solutions.

Will the Mac mini dual-core i5 2.8GHz be capable of running Logic to a high standard? I guess I will be doing all the bounces and mixes on the Mac Mini, so a good hard drive speed is essential. Is the Fusion drive comparable to a good SSD?

Personally, I would opt for the special order 3.0 GHz i7. Also, special

order to get 16 gig RAM since the RAM on the new Minis is not user upgradable.

The other option I suggest is go with a full blown SSD drive internal and

an external HDD for project storage. Only use the internal SSD for active

projects.

Am I able to connect my MBP to the Mini to use as an external monitor along with my Thunderbolt Display? Would it be able to handle two displays?

The only way a MBP can be used as a monitor is via Screen Sharing over a network.

Direct connection is not possible.

Networking

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.