Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can I use the old time capsule as a wired 'wireless access point' to extend a network?

Hi all,

Here's my question. I'm moving to a new, larger home and I'm doubting whether the following setup will work:

- In the living room I want to put the new - yet to be bought - Apple Airport Extreme. This one creates a wireless network.

- At the other end of the house my good old Apple Time Capsule. I want to connect it via Ethernet to the Apple Airport Extreme in the living room (there's a large space underneath the floor).

- I want the Time Capsule to act as a wireless access point, so the create a wireless network with the same network name / pw as the Airport Extreme.

- I want the Time Capsule to remain my wireless backup point.

Do you think this setup will work? Will my MacBook / iPad automatically choose which network to join (both have the same network name)? And will the wireless backup still work?

Thanks very much!

Pieter.

Posted on Apr 1, 2015 11:23 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 1, 2015 11:33 PM

Your setup is called roaming and is a standard setup.

Will my MacBook / iPad automatically choose which network to join

They will join whatever point has the best signal.

And will the wireless backup still work?

It should be fine.. if you run into trouble tell us and we can troubleshoot it for you.. certainly if your computer joins the Airport Extreme you can occasionally have issues to find the TC.. it is mostly Yosemite that gives issues because it has poor to hopeless networking.. but there are ways around it.

Setting Up Roaming - New AirPort Extremes and Utility

The original support document is here.

Wi-Fi base stations: Setting up and configuring a roaming network (802.11 a/b/g/n) - Apple Support

Apple has been lax at updating some of their info.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 1, 2015 11:33 PM in response to pieter102

Your setup is called roaming and is a standard setup.

Will my MacBook / iPad automatically choose which network to join

They will join whatever point has the best signal.

And will the wireless backup still work?

It should be fine.. if you run into trouble tell us and we can troubleshoot it for you.. certainly if your computer joins the Airport Extreme you can occasionally have issues to find the TC.. it is mostly Yosemite that gives issues because it has poor to hopeless networking.. but there are ways around it.

Setting Up Roaming - New AirPort Extremes and Utility

The original support document is here.

Wi-Fi base stations: Setting up and configuring a roaming network (802.11 a/b/g/n) - Apple Support

Apple has been lax at updating some of their info.

Can I use the old time capsule as a wired 'wireless access point' to extend a network?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.