Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How can I delete preinstalled apps in iOS 8?

The iOS 8 terms and conditions state:

"If you do not wish to use a Preinstalled App, you can delete it from your iOS Device at any time." [1]

However, I am unable to delete the Newsstand app or other preinstalled apps from my iOS device.

Why?

[1] last sentence of section 2. (c): http://images.apple.com/legal/sla/docs/iOS81.pdf

iPhone 6 Plus, iOS 8.2

Posted on Apr 2, 2015 12:03 AM

7 replies

Apr 2, 2015 1:04 AM in response to jdubwright

Not all apps can be removed, for example Safari, iWatch, Weather,... they all come with the iOS software. Only some apps made by Apple that are available in the AppStore can be removed again, if preinstalled on your iPhone 6, for example Pages, Garageband and some others.

You can remove those and install them later again by downloading them again for free.

(c)To the extent that Apple has preinstalled Apple-branded apps from the App Store on your iOS Device at the time of purchase (“Preinstalled Apps”),

Apr 2, 2015 1:18 AM in response to jdubwright

You misinterpreted the section you have indicated in your post:

"

To the extent that Apple has preinstalled Apple-branded apps from the App Store on your iOS Device at the time of purchase (“Preinstalled Apps”), you will need to log into the App Store and associate these Preinstalled Apps with your App Store account in order to use them on your iOS Device. When you associate a Preinstalled App with your App Store account, you will at the same time be automatically associating all other Preinstalled Apps on your iOS Device. By choosing to associate the Preinstalled Apps with your App Store account, you agree that Apple may transmit, collect, maintain, process and use both the Apple ID used by your App Store account and a unique hardware identifier collected from your iOS Device, as unique account identifiers for the purpose of verifying the eligibility of your request and providing you access to the Preinstalled Apps through the App Store. If you do not wish to use a Preinstalled App, you can delete it from your iOS Device at any time.

"

I emphasized the three words that count here (from the App Store). These are the apps that Ingo2711 refers to also.

Lex

Apr 2, 2015 1:20 AM in response to Ingo2711

Thanks.

I noticed you bolded "Apple-branded apps" from the first sentence of section 2 (c).

What is the definition of "Apple-branded" in this context?

For example, "Apple Watch" is now a preinstalled app, and would seem to fit the definition of "Apple-branded", but I can't uninstall it.

Ingo2711 wrote:

Not all apps can be removed, for example Safari, iWatch, Weather,... they all come with the iOS software. Only some apps made by Apple that are available in the AppStore can be removed again, if preinstalled on your iPhone 6, for example Pages, Garageband and some others.

You can remove those and install them later again by downloading them again for free.

(c)To the extent that Apple has preinstalled Apple-branded apps from the App Store on your iOS Device at the time of purchase (“Preinstalled Apps”),

How can I delete preinstalled apps in iOS 8?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.