Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Boot Camp Assistant fails to download Windows support software

Yesterday I spent TWICE 2 hours trying to download Windows support software via the Boot Camp Assistant while trying to install Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit. Both downloads were very slow and ended in "an error".

Other posts indicate this is a known problem and suggest downloading the software via a browser instead using BCA.

But we have Mac Book Pro mid 2014 and there seems to be no browser-downloadable support files for it (only for older models).

It seems downloading the support software is forced (it is checked and grayed out in BCA) so I can't continue to install if I want BCA to copy the Windows.iso to USB. I can copy the Windows.iso to an USB stick via my Mac mini's VMare/Windows 7, but even then I'd have to somehow get the support software for the MacBook Pro mid 2014.

I guess I could try to use the support files for older Macs but would it refuse to install or would be there some drivers missing?

So is my only option to just try again and hope for the best?

Posted on Apr 2, 2015 12:01 AM

7 replies

Apr 2, 2015 3:37 AM in response to Rudegar

Thanks for the note. But neither link lists our MacBook Pro mid 2014.

And how can I use Boot Camp Assistant to write the Windows.iso to USB-stick because it forces the download of support software (it is selected and grayed out).

The following page recommends using BCA for the MBP mid 2014.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204048

I guess I could write the Windows.iso to USB using Windows (in fact I already did and it boots the MBP) and then try if the aforementioned software packages (which one?) contain necessary drivers for our MBP.

But I'd rather do it the recommended way letting the Boot Camp Assistant do the dirty work.

Apr 2, 2015 4:46 AM in response to Matti Haveri

For 2014 models, there are newer versions of Windows Drivers (5.1.5766 - for iMac5k, MBPs, ...) which are only available via BCA. You do not have a choice but to use BCA. Some have reported problems getting to the Apple CDN from where they are located.

Also, if you have installed any third-party software on your Mac, which could have contaminated your DNS, it can cause connectivity issues. Run the following commands in OS X Terminal.

grep -e apple.com /etc/hosts

grep -e apple.com /private/etc/hosts

If you see any entries which look suspicious, please post them. Remove any personal information as you see fit before replying.

Apr 2, 2015 9:12 AM in response to Loner T

Thanks, Loner T. The third installation attempt today succeeded and the download phase went through quite fast in less than 30 minutes.

The only quirks were that the Windows installer did not show any row with the name "BOOTCAMP" so I had to figure out by the partition sizes which one I wanted to format. The installation screens' text was also very small on the retina MBP before Apple's updates had a chance to take effect.

But now everything is OK. BTW, I chose the default tiny 20 GB partition size because my son only wants to be bilingual and know what the Windows folks talk about ;-) That left about 4 GB free space on Windows 8.1 Pro after its all current updates.

Apr 2, 2015 10:13 AM in response to Matti Haveri

Since this is a brand new installation, I would recommend removing it using BC Assistant (only. No other tool should be used), and creating a 40-60GB partition. The reason there is so little free space is due to two large files hiberfil.sys and pagefil.sys. These are derived from the memory installed. These can be reduced, but reduction can negatively impact performance.

Boot Camp Assistant fails to download Windows support software

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.