Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

USB 3.0 on Powerbook G4 Aluminum 1.25 gh Leopard ?

I'm using a PCMCIA to 34 mm Expresscard USB 3.0 adapter with my Apple Mac Powerbook G4 1.25 GHZ with 2 gm ram Aluminum running Leopard.

The 34mm card supplies power to a USB fan, but my Monster Digital USB 3.0 SSD is not recognized . So Expresscard IS supplying power via my slot.

What do I need to do to get the small Monster SSD (or a USB flash drive) to be recognized on my system?? Driver???

The Monster SSD IS recognized and usable through my standard onboard USB 2.0 slots and a USB 2.0 PCMCIA card and functions fine, but I want USB 3.0 speed (or at least over USB 2.0 speed.....) Should be possible.

I tried installing the Snow Leopard GenericusbXHCL.kext mentioned by some, but did not help ):

Has anyone done a driver for PPC and Leopard?? BTW, there seem to be multiple work-arounds for Snow Leopard and beyond. (TonyMacs, etc) 

But non address PPC chipset

Thanks!

PowerBook, Mac OS X (10.5.8), null

Posted on Apr 2, 2015 6:53 AM

5 replies

Apr 2, 2015 8:29 AM in response to SHartz

So Expresscard IS supplying power via my slot.

But maybe not enough power. Does the Monster drive have an independent power supply? If so use it. If not get a POWERED USB hub that has its own power brick. That usually fixes problems of drives that can't get enough power from the computer's ports.

As for speed, you can't go faster than what the computer's logic board USB controller can produce, in your case USB 2.0. That is a brick wall hardware limitation. No amount of plugging higher-rated adaptors into computer will make it faster.

I think you would have better results with FireWire. I've used both USB and FW externals on our remaining G-series Macs and decides FW was the only way to go. Much more stable, much faster, and transparent in operation.

Apr 6, 2015 9:23 AM in response to Allan Jones

No independent power supply. BUT it does work via USB 2.0 port and USB 2.0 carbus card, so power does not seem to be the issue. Pretty sure I need a USB 3.0 driver of some sort... But where do I get that? There is out there a GenericUSBXHCI.kext, but is for Intel ,achines... Anyone know of something for PPC machines??

Thanks for your response...

Steve

Apr 10, 2015 5:27 PM in response to SHartz

One thing to remember is that you'll need to format the drive for PowerPC support. While slower, Disk Utility should be able to see the drive enough to format it Apple Partition Map, which the PowerPC can then use. The only question is whether or not it will boot. Booting via USB on Mac OS X on PowerPC has very limited support, and really is hit or miss. Whether or not the Cardbus has better support really depends on the built-in drivers of the card.

Apr 24, 2015 12:54 PM in response to a brody

Thanks for your reply!

This Mac does boot fine from the same Monster drive under USB 2.0. . So my model Powerbook is capable of USB booting via the startup option using the option button. I was just playing with booting at USB 3.0 speeds. Intel Macs can do it. why not a PPC machine? I am still trying various Expresscard 34 cards with the adapter. No luck with NEC based chip cards. Maybe the Fresco chip Expresscard? I'll test that one next...

USB 3.0 on Powerbook G4 Aluminum 1.25 gh Leopard ?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.