Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

adding close caption files to MXF

I use FCPX to edit my TV show (ScubaNation.com) and get it ready for network upload. I installed the ProVideo Formats pack so now I can successfully export my show in the MXF format network requires for electronic upload.

I have another vendor that does our close captioning (CC) and emails me the .scc file.

I THOUGHT my next step was to take the .scc file and marry it to my MXF file (from FCPX) in Compressor and my show is ready for upload. Not so fast! I found out that Compressor does not merge CC files to MXF LIKE IT DOES for mpg2, 4, & mov.

WHY!?!? Now I get to purchase Sony Vegas which does this. Crazy.

I'm apple to the core (excuse the pun). When will this get added???

Oh yea, it would be nice to get this done within FCPX, but I guess you have heard that one before too?

Thanks

Mitch

ScubaNation.com

Mac Pro, Mac OS X (10.4.7), FCPX latest

Posted on Apr 2, 2015 5:54 AM

8 replies

Apr 5, 2015 4:14 AM in response to ScubaMitch65

Set up a job in Compressor to transcode your FCPX project timeline (Send To Compressor) to ProRes.

Add your .scc file to that encode target.

Select that ProRes encode target in the Batch pane (not the whole job, just the ProRes setting).

Right-click it, select "New Job With Selected Output".

Apply your MXF encode setting to that new job.

Apr 14, 2015 3:57 PM in response to BenB

So I have a similar issue. First, the stats. I'm still using FCP7 and Compressor 3.5. If I need to upgrade them, then so be it. Heard about the nightmares of X and never moved over.

The story: The uploading company is asking for IMX30 (SD) files. I've been using mpeg2 files at the older station. No problem in doing the Mpegs but now that IMX is being asked for, I can't get my .scc files to marry. If I use the mpeg settings, got 'em. Change the settings (using ProRes instead of mpeg), as you've outlined, nada on either file.

So my real question is: Is my question is, is my FCP7 and Compressor 3.5 my real issue and if so, will FCP X/Compressor 4 work?

Apr 14, 2015 7:29 PM in response to 12Bask

The short and sweat no X and 4 will not do it. Why? Ask Apple. Starting to suspect MacCaption has paid them off to leave it out.

Compressor 4 will marry my CC file with any QT format. Just not MXF or your case. Maddening.

I believe Sony Vegas will do this. Im sending my test file to my network and I will post back here. But it's a Windows program (roll eyes here).

BTW, the horror stories about X are over. I love it now and been with it since 10.0.0. I used to be on 7 too. Time to switch. Cant run windows 95 forever.

This is a Compressor 4 thing not FCPX. But once available in C4 (if) then we should be able to run directly from X.

Jul 12, 2015 7:23 PM in response to ScubaMitch65

I've been reading about this for a while now.

Is it still the case that Compressor will not merge

a SCC file with a MXF file?

I've had a fellow producer have success doing this, but you can't confirm that it's embedded in the file.

if you have any new information on Merging SCC to MXF on Mac compressor

please let me know.

Thanks

dr

Feb 17, 2016 8:17 AM in response to BenB

Hi BenB,

Thank you for all your time that you give to help everyone here.

But I did try your receipt and it is not working for MXF file. If you have any other suggestion that could help us about SCC, please let us know.

If someone else find something helpful, please we all need that for broadcasters.

Thanks

GuyD

adding close caption files to MXF

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.