Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mac OS 9.2 on a Performa 6400?

I know it's possible to upgrade a Performa 6400 to OS 9.2.2 using OS 9 Helper but while using the Helper program my machine continuously freezes during the upgrade / installation process. My Performa currently has 9.1 on it and it "should" be no problem to get 9.2 on it using OS 9 Helper. I've read several posts around the web (mainly from zone6400.com) but for whatever reason I am unsuccessful. If anyone knows what I'm doing wrong please let me know.
By the way, the reason for wanting 9.2.2 on the Performa is to get the Radeon 7000 video card I have in it to work AND so I can use it with the old 17" Studio Display LCD I have, and both need 9.2.2 as the minimum OS to make it all happen. I've done this before years ago with an identical machine but for the life of me I can't remember exactly what I did to make everything flow together.
Here is what I have and what I'm running...
- Performa 6400/200
- 136MB of RAM
- Radeon 7000 64MB (Mac Edition)
- OS 9.1 (current running OS)
- OS 9.2.1 Upgrade CD & OS 9.2.2 Upgrade CD
- OS 9 Helper loaded in the machine
- 17" Apple LCD Studio Display (clear acrylic version)
- Apple Studio Display ADC to LCD adapter

Performa 6400-OTHER, Mac OS 9.1.x

Posted on Apr 2, 2015 6:05 AM

3 replies

Apr 3, 2015 2:23 PM in response to PowerPC_Fan

Mac OS 9.1 is the max you can install on a pre-G3 Mac with a PowerPC chip, and the oldest Powerbook G3.

The helper might enable 9.2 or later on G3 upgrade cards, depending on what those cards supported.

But generally speaking unless you have a need for the Classic environment, getting 9.2 or 9.2.1, or 9.2.2 is generally not that necessary.

Apr 6, 2015 9:50 PM in response to PowerPC_Fan

"The helper might enable 9.2 or later on G3 upgrade cards, depending on what those cards supported."

"OS9 Helper" isn't restricted to G3/G4-upgraded Power Macs, as is "XPostFacto" for installing OS X on unsupported models. From Other World Computing's "OS9 Helper" page:

What are the benefits of installing 9.2.x?

Apple touted 9.2.1 as a minor update to 9.1 that added "better classic compatibility". However, the performance inprovements that were added in 9.2.x are clearly noticeable once you install it. In particular, the Finder is incredibly responsive, and Open Transport networking is vastly more stable. However, the four most important reasons for installing 9.2.x are:

1. Compatibility with ATI's latest drivers. ATI dropped support for OpenGL versions lower than 1.2.2. (9.1 has 1.2.1)

2. You can't run DVD Studio Pro 1.5 or 1.2.1 without 9.2.2.

3. You can't run Final Cut Pro 3 without 9.2.2.

4. Full compatibility with iPod.

If you haven't, I'd recommend removing the Radeon card, before running OS9 Helper and the OS 9.2.1 & 9.2.2 Updates. Also, I wouldn't install a second PCI card in the remaining slot on the riser card. The Radeon has greater power requirements than the typical PCI graphics cards that were manufactured in 1996-1997, when the 6400/6500s were manufactured.

Apr 8, 2015 9:22 AM in response to Jeff

Thanks, Jeff. I did exactly as you described and got further than before but am still getting an error while trying to install 9.2 with Helper. After removing the Radeon 7000 card it did allow the 9.2 installation to proceed until I recieved an "O'Hare" error message. When I get this message it will not go any further, it gives the option of pressing an "OK" button and then the installation quits. Any ideas on how to fix or bypass this?

Mac OS 9.2 on a Performa 6400?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.