Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Zip attachments are unusable when moving an email message

I'm asking this question on behalf of a coworker. Here's the scenario.

Each month we receive a .zip file from one of our vendors. My coworker receives that file, and if she moves the message from her inbox to a different folder (in Apple Mail) the .zip file becomes unusable ... it's displayed as garbled text/code.

If she doesn't move that .zip file it's perfectly normal and usable, but as soon as it moves it's zapped.

Any ideas on what's causing this, and how to fix it?

Posted on Apr 2, 2015 6:13 AM

5 replies

Apr 2, 2015 10:57 AM in response to BDAqua

The garbled text is displaying in the mail message (after it's moved). Here's a partial screen shot:

User uploaded file

The extra quote level was added when she forwarded the message to me.

Normally she's able to use the attached ZIP file, but as part of her workflow she moves her emails to different folders depending on what she needs to do next. That works for everything except this email with the ZIP file. She'll move the email, but then the ZIP turns into what I showed in the screen shot. When it gets to this point there's nothing to unzip.

As long as she remembers to NOT move this email (and grab the attachment right away) everything is fine. But if she moves the message, then the bad stuff happens.

Apr 2, 2015 1:14 PM in response to DaveInFargo

Ah, I see, but only have a very vague idea of what is causing it, as a test, if they move it back to the original Inbox does it become an unzippable attachment again?

In it's original location before a move, is it possible to Right Click on the attachment & choose Save Attachment..., & does that make a difference?

Zip attachments are unusable when moving an email message

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.