Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Power mac power on error

whenever i turn my power mac g4 on i get an error that says "you must restart your computer hold down the power button for several seconds or press the restart button (of which my mac lacks)" and i have done this many times it still doesn't work and i want to use my crapple, for, reasons (i dont have the mac boot disks)

i also have no idea the version of os/x its running

PowerMac, 2003

Posted on Apr 2, 2015 11:15 AM

1 reply

Apr 2, 2015 2:09 PM in response to RaberSaberHatesMacs

Some things to try...

To use fsck, you must run it from the command line. Unlike using your mouse to open an application to do something, you'll need to type a text command at the prompt (#) to tell fsck what to do. The Terminal application (/Applications/Utilities) and single-user mode are two examples of command-line interfaces in which you can type such commands. To use fsck:

1. Start up your computer in single-user mode to reach the command line. Hold CMD+s keys down at bootup.

Note: If necessary, perform a forced restart as described in the Emergency Troubleshooting Handbook that came with your computer. On desktop computers, you can do this by pressing the reset/interrupt button (if there is one) or holding down the power button for several seconds. On portable computers, simultaneously press the Command-Control-power keys. If your portable computer doesn't restart with this method, you may need to reset the Power Manager.

2. At the command-line prompt, type /sbin/fsck -fy

(SPACE between fsck AND -fy important)

3. Press Return. fsck will go through five "phases" and then return information about your disk's use and fragmentation. Once it finishes, it'll display this message if no issue is found:

The volume (name_of_volume) appears to be OK

If fsck found issues and has altered, repaired, or fixed anything, it will display this message:

***** FILE SYSTEM WAS MODIFIED *****

Important: If this message appears, repeat the fsck command you typed in step 2 until fsck tells you that your volume appears to be OK (first-pass repairs may uncover additional issues, so this is a normal thing to do).

4. When fsck reports that your volume is OK, type reboot at the prompt and then press Return.

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=106214

Then Safe Boot, (holding Shift key down at bootup), & use Disk Utility from there to Repair Permissions, reboot once more.

Then Safe Boot from the HD, (holding Shift key down at bootup), run Disk Utility in Applications>Utilities, then highlight your drive, click on Repair Permissions, reboot when it completes.

Does it boot into Open Firmware with CMD+Option+o+f ?

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=42642

reset-nvram (press Enter)

set-defaults (press Enter)

reset-all (press Enter)

Have you done a PRAM reset, CMD+Option+p+r...

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1379

In fact, do 3 in a row, takes a bit of time.

Power mac power on error

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.