Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I cannot get my lists to work

I have picked the box in preferences but list is not working - The Bullets and Lists box is greyed off - I have spent about 2 hours trying to figure this out and not sure what is wrong. First time I used excel I had consecutive numbering in my cells in 30 seconds - a little frustrated

iMac, OS X Yosemite (10.10.1), Fusion drive - 3T, 16GB memory,

Posted on Apr 2, 2015 12:05 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 15, 2015 12:31 PM

Ed,

When you enter text in a cell, then return key is what signals to Numbers that you are done editing a cell so it moves to the next cell. In other applications the return key moves to the next line (on some OS's it terminates the line a carriage return, in others the line feed and in others both). To make a list set the format for a list like you've done but hold the <option> key when hitting a return to create a new line without exiting the cell edit mode

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 15, 2015 12:31 PM in response to Ed Jenni

Ed,

When you enter text in a cell, then return key is what signals to Numbers that you are done editing a cell so it moves to the next cell. In other applications the return key moves to the next line (on some OS's it terminates the line a carriage return, in others the line feed and in others both). To make a list set the format for a list like you've done but hold the <option> key when hitting a return to create a new line without exiting the cell edit mode

Apr 15, 2015 1:46 PM in response to Ed Jenni

I have the number showing up in the cell after making sure it has an active cursor but when I hit return the number disappears

Puzzling that you can see the number when you type it in, but that it disappears after you hit 'return'.

Have you by any chance applied a filter, perhaps inadvertently?

For example if I have this filter:

User uploaded file

Then I check the box to apply the filter, and I get this (the 100 and the 101 have "disappeared"):

User uploaded file

Then I enter, say, 102 in the next blank cell that is visible:

User uploaded file

I can see the 102 until I hit 'return':

User uploaded file

You can check whether you have some sort of filter applied by clicking the table and choosing Sort & Filter upper right in the toolbar, then going to the Filter tab. Once applied, either inadvertently or on purpose, filters are not always easily noticed. There are no obvious visual cues.

SG

I cannot get my lists to work

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.