Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Is it okay to leave my MBPr 15" always plugged in to external displays?

I have a 15" MBPr with the 750m. I use it very mainly at my desk, plugged in to two monitors (a 4k display over thunderbolt and a 1080 display over HDMI) as well as other peripherals. The computer is always closed, operating in clamshell mode. I already cycle the battery once every two weeks, charging it fully and then draining it fully, the battery is not what I am wondering about. I am wondering if it is okay to leave my computer plugged in to the monitor and other peripherals while asleep for long periods of time.

I know this should seem like no big deal, but I notice that my mac is always noticeably warm when I wake it up in the morning, sometimes 130-140 F according to the sensors in the computer. At idle, doing nothing while awake the computer sits at 115-120. Is this a problem or is this normal? It doesn't seem normal...

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Yosemite (10.10.2), 2014 15" MBPr 750m

Posted on Apr 2, 2015 7:42 PM

4 replies

Apr 2, 2015 7:51 PM in response to yatesteve

I don't think your monitors and peripherals have anything to do with this heat problem. Make sure you go to Apple (symbol at top left) > sleep when you are not using the laptop. This prevents from any background programs from heavily using the CPU or other components. If that doesn't work, open activity monitor and click on the "CPU" tab and check if a program is using a lot of your processing program. If that program is a known program to you and you know it is supposed to be using resources more heavily, leave it running. If the program is unknown to you and you feel that it could be a background application that is unwanted, quit the process. Try to avoid quitting system programs; those are needed and can sometimes, but rarely, use up quite some CPU. But that is usually only when you instructed it to do so; for example copying gigabytes of files to a disk.

Lots of info here, but hope this helps! Ask any further questions that you may have!

-24GHz

Apr 2, 2015 7:53 PM in response to yatesteve

If you keep the lid closed this reduces some heat loss thus causing the computer to operate hotter. Operating in clamshell mode 100% of the time is not recommended practice. It is never good practice to leave a computer turned on or asleep for long periods of time. They should be shutdown, especially when left unattended.

Is it okay to leave my MBPr 15" always plugged in to external displays?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.