Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

GPU Debug Freezes on two 2007-2008 iMacs - Safari ONLY

Recently I upgraded my wife’s late 2007 iMac (7,1) to Mavericks; and my 2008 iMac (8,1) to Yosemite. Each machine runs the latest version.

With these updates we each started getting semi-frequent freeze-ups requiring a reboot. A visit to our respective Console files revealed the same ** GPU Debug Info Start ** error causing the freeze-ups on each of our machines.

While other threads on the ** GPU Debug Info Start ** error indicate the need to replace our ATI Radeon graphics cards, I need to emphasize that these freeze-ups ONLY occur with Safari running. Using any other browser (Chrome, Firefix, Opera) and all is rock-solid.

So I’m concluding that this is a software problem. One other thread suggested a need to replace the ATI driver kext files.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Frank

iMac, OS X Yosemite (10.10.2), 2008 iMac - 6GB RAM - 480 GB SSD

Posted on Apr 2, 2015 8:04 PM

1 reply

Sep 2, 2015 3:51 PM in response to Frank Cioffi1

I had the same issue. It was the ATI driver kext files.

I replaced the kext files; no GPU issues since then.

Detailed instructions on how to replace these files can be found here : [URL="http://forums.macrumors.com/threads/late-2007-imac-20-freezes-completely-random. 1262891/page-14#post-20454535"]Late 2007 iMac 20" Freezes completely random.[/URL]

See response 350

Good luck.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.