Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Transferring iTunes to new Mac - several problems

I'm upgrading from an old MacPro, OS X version 10.6.8 to a new Mac Mini, version 10.10.2. iTunes versions 11.2.2 to 12.1.0. I updated iTunes on the New Mac, and registered the New Mac with the iTunes Store. I then connected the two Macs and transferred the entire iTunes directory from Old Mac to New Mac. But:

(1) I only see 39 of my 161 apps in the app view. The missing apps aren't listed at all.

(2) My play lists are all messed up - like they're old versions of the playlists

(3) All my Apple Store purchased music is listed as "in the cloud" rather than being local and resident on the New Mac, even though all the files transferred

(4) My Audible-purchased audiobooks are also not present in the library list even though all the ".aa" files transferred

Thinking I screwed up, I trashed the entire iTunes directory on the New Mac and did the whole process over again. And I checked in iTunes Preferences Advanced to ensure the library was pointing to the right directory.

Help! I really shouldn't have to re-download all my songs, re-download all my audiobooks, re-download ~130 apps, and rebuild all my playlists. Please tell me it is something simple.

Many advanced thanks.

Posted on Apr 2, 2015 7:07 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 2, 2015 8:12 PM

Moving a library: Quick answer if you use iTunes' default preferences settings: Copy the entire iTunes folder (and in doing so all its sub-folders and files) intact to the other drive. Hold down the option (alt) key (shift on Windows) and open iTunes. At the prompt to create or choose a library choose the copied iTunes folder.

When this is to a new computer put the copied iTunes folder in the default location of Macintosh HD > Users > *User Name* > Music then you don't even need to start with the option key held down, iTunes will automatically look for it there. (Make sure there isn't anything already in the iTunes folder there that you want to keep since you will be replacing it with the one you are moving.)

If you did the above and it did not work then sometime in the past you did something that changed the configuration of iTunes files on your computer. We will not know for sure what to advise unless you tell us what it was you did.

Longer answers if for any reason you do not think all library files are inside your iTunes folder (changed preferences settings at some point):

iTunes: How to move [or copy] your music [library] to a new computer [or another drive] - http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4527 - a somewhat bewildering and not always easily understandable set of options.

For the record there's this reference for iTunes 11 but it really doesn't strike me as having the specifics you need. iTunes 11 for Mac: Move your library to another computer - http://support.apple.com/kb/PH12168

2011 ilounge article: Transferring your iTunes library - http://www.ilounge.com/index.php/articles/comments/moving-your-itunes-library-to -a-new-hard-drive/ - An article with good background information (similar to the links above), particularly if you are not sure your media files are all grouped for quick answer above. Unfortunately under the single term "transferring library" it describes two very different moves; relocating just your media (not really transferring your library and not recommended unless you really need this configuration), and relocating media+database (really your whole "library"). Make sure you understand the difference before electing to move only media.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 2, 2015 8:12 PM in response to RK101

Moving a library: Quick answer if you use iTunes' default preferences settings: Copy the entire iTunes folder (and in doing so all its sub-folders and files) intact to the other drive. Hold down the option (alt) key (shift on Windows) and open iTunes. At the prompt to create or choose a library choose the copied iTunes folder.

When this is to a new computer put the copied iTunes folder in the default location of Macintosh HD > Users > *User Name* > Music then you don't even need to start with the option key held down, iTunes will automatically look for it there. (Make sure there isn't anything already in the iTunes folder there that you want to keep since you will be replacing it with the one you are moving.)

If you did the above and it did not work then sometime in the past you did something that changed the configuration of iTunes files on your computer. We will not know for sure what to advise unless you tell us what it was you did.

Longer answers if for any reason you do not think all library files are inside your iTunes folder (changed preferences settings at some point):

iTunes: How to move [or copy] your music [library] to a new computer [or another drive] - http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4527 - a somewhat bewildering and not always easily understandable set of options.

For the record there's this reference for iTunes 11 but it really doesn't strike me as having the specifics you need. iTunes 11 for Mac: Move your library to another computer - http://support.apple.com/kb/PH12168

2011 ilounge article: Transferring your iTunes library - http://www.ilounge.com/index.php/articles/comments/moving-your-itunes-library-to -a-new-hard-drive/ - An article with good background information (similar to the links above), particularly if you are not sure your media files are all grouped for quick answer above. Unfortunately under the single term "transferring library" it describes two very different moves; relocating just your media (not really transferring your library and not recommended unless you really need this configuration), and relocating media+database (really your whole "library"). Make sure you understand the difference before electing to move only media.

Apr 2, 2015 8:11 PM in response to Limnos

Great reply, thanks! That last ilounge article sorted me out.

Apparently when I installed an SSD in the old Mac Pro and separated the user data from the boot disk, I messed up the location of the library file. Now I have the right one and all appears to be well (or at least much better).

Thanks!

Transferring iTunes to new Mac - several problems

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.