Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

any tips for creating a realistic midi cymbal swell?

surely there has be to a way to create a nice cymbal swell - I used to use cubase but it never sounded realistic just filling in a large number of cymbal crashes jammed together - too percussive.

any assistance would be awesome!

thanks,

stefano targhetti

MacBook Pro, OS X Mavericks (10.9.4)

Posted on Apr 2, 2015 7:44 PM

Question marked as Best reply
3 replies

Apr 2, 2015 9:12 PM in response to gualtier

Creating a cymbal swell performed in midi (rather than as a previously recorded audio track), is done in a manner similarly to how a real cymbal swell is actually played: namely, a midi note corresponding to a software instrument patch's cymbal is played rapidly over and over, and the track volume level is increased. For a swell that increases and peaks in volume at the half-way point of note playing, and then decrescendo's back to opening volume, adjust the track volume automation accordingly.

Try the cymbal found at Fsharp in Octave C1, using the Orchestral>Percussion>Orchestral Kit patch. You can first set the track timing to be relatively slow, like 100 BPM, and then strike the cymbal every quarter note; use the metronome when recording to assist with getting an even note strike. Then playback the tempo at 16x speed at which it was recorded to get the rapid cymbal strike roll. Add the volume automation as discussed above to get the volume swell.

User uploaded file

Apr 27, 2015 5:00 PM in response to gualtier

thank you for the replies - I finally found my solution!

it's contained in the orchestral kit in logic pro x - as jd321 mentions below - you just have to play around with placing the actual midi hit so that the swell climaxes at the correct moment (obviously with snap off) but the sound is gorgeous - exactly what I've been dying for.

already in 2 songs!!

thanks again.

stefano

any tips for creating a realistic midi cymbal swell?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.