Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Safari no longer updates. This seems short sighted of Apple. Should I make Firefox or Chrome my new default browser?

Safari no longer updates. This seems short sighted of Apple. Should I make Firefox or Chrome my new default browser?

MacBook (13-inch Late 2007), Mac OS X (10.6.8), upgraded memory 4GB

Posted on Apr 2, 2015 11:03 PM

3 replies

Apr 3, 2015 12:38 AM in response to geturdone

Firefox would be the better choice: it's reliable, frequently updated, and still works with 10.6.8. It doesn't use Apple's Webkit (which is a bit crashy even on Mavericks), and sandboxes websites so that if one crashes it won't bring the whole browser down. Chrome may have issues with OSX. Apple are not interested in keeping Snow Leopard or its components up to date - the system no longer gets security updates, which means there is an increased risk. They expect you to upgrade to the latest system, though many people don't want to do that (Yosememite has its own collection of issues.)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.