Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

More Dual Layer Problems..and a DVD Player question

Hello everyone, I posted last week about wondering if I bought the wrong type of DVDs for the my first dual-layer project...I burned my Verbatim DVD=R DL disc and it won't play on any DVD player I've put it in, including those that SAY they will play Dual Layer Discs. My Mac plays it but unexpectedly quits when I try to go from asset to asset within the menu.

I burned it with Toast 7 and got a clean Verification but yet NO single set-top DVD player I've put it in will read it.

My other question: I created this 7.7 GB documentary and now I'm confused as to whether other people are going to be able to even PLAY it on their DVD Player...do most DVD players read Dual Layer discs? I went to Best Buy today and talked to several guys there in the Home Theater Dept. and got a different answer from each one.

So I don't know what to do:

Is my disc perhaps just BAD? Will Dual Layer discs not play on set-top DVD players unless they are under a year old? Why won't it play without quitting on my G5? It won't play in an iBook or a Mac Mini either.

Any insight would be appreciated. It took me two years to finish this project and now I can't seem to BURN the silly thing and now I'm also questioning whether Joe-Blow will even be able to play it on a common DVD player...

Sigh. Thanks for any help.

G5 Dual 1.8 23-inch Display

Posted on Oct 15, 2006 5:50 PM

11 replies

Oct 15, 2006 6:02 PM in response to iSwitcher

Verbatim DVD=R DL disc

+R is more reliable than -R for DL. There are some -R DL (do not recall if Verbatim makes one or not)

burned it with Toast 7 and got a clean Verification but yet NO single set-top DVD player I've put it in will read it.

Are you sure you are making a VIDEO DVD and not a data DVD?

Sounds like something is happening along the way. Though some players may not play DL Discs from a computer, many will if the Player is rated to Play DL

I went to Best Buy today and talked to several guys there in the Home Theater Dept. and got a different answer from each one.

ummmmmm. Do not let them confuse you (and I like BestBuy alot more than many retailers and think they are better than most when it comes to trying to be helpful, so not slagging them....)

Oct 15, 2006 7:06 PM in response to Drew13

Sorry, I typed = when I meant to type +. Yes, I have Verbatim DVD+R DL.

And yes, I burned a Video DVD because I dragged the VIDEO_TS folder in where it asks for it. I burn these all the time like this using DVD-R discs (4.7 gb)...these are just my first attempt at DL.

I have two DVD players that I've tried that SAY they play DL and neither will play the disc. So at least the +R is the better of the DL discs to have bought?

Another question..when I try to burn the project from DVDSP3 it gives me a write error and someone on this board suggested burning it via Toast at a slower speed, which I did, at 2x. Where within DVDSP3 can I SLOW the speed down...I'd like to next try burning the project from DVDSP3 if possible.

Oct 15, 2006 7:38 PM in response to Drew13

Not a single DVD Player will even load the disk. It flashes "Loading" and then makes horrible noises and you have to EJECT to stop it. The Mac Mini and iBook simply spit it right back out.

The dual layer drive in my G5, which burned the project, is the only player that has successfully loaded the disc and allowed me to move around in the DVD and play the movies and slideshows...but when it jumps from asset to asset or chapter to chapter, or from movie to menu, it "Unexpectedly Quits."

If I had burned this as a Data DVD it would not play via the DVD Player on my G5, I presume, so I'm pretty certain I burned it the correct way.

Oct 15, 2006 7:45 PM in response to iSwitcher

f I had burned this as a Data DVD it would not play via the DVD Player on my G5, I presume, so I'm pretty certain I burned it the correct way.

Not necessarily, in other words could have been a data DVD the computer played.

the iBook may not have a drive that reads dual layer discs, and not sure of all the specs of the Mac Mini, but some may not have come with DL drives (heck I ran into this just now myself, went nuts trying to install some software on an older computer that kept on spitting out a DVD, doh..someone had changed the drive to a CD-ROM on me. Man talk about going nuts as the Disc kept getting ejected with no warning whatsoever.)

Oct 15, 2006 8:01 PM in response to Drew13

Ok, I dont know much about this....so computers without a Dual Layer Burner CANNOT play a DL disc? What about the DVDs from NetFlix and Blockbuster sometime that are larger than 4.7 Gig? Those play alright. Are they different?

Can I then ask, with all the trouble it seems to even PLAY a DL disk on a computer OR on a set top DVD player......WHY would one choose a DL disc as an option for a large project? Should I tear this project apart and put it on two normal 4.7 GB disks?

I had no idea, when I created this large product, that it would practically be unplayable. Am I misunderstanding the problem? Why use a DL disk if it won't play on ANYTHING?

Oct 16, 2006 5:13 AM in response to iSwitcher

.so computers Dual Layer Burner CANNOT play a DL disc?

Bascially a computer without a drive that can READ a DL disc (even though it can play back a single layer disc) will not play back a DL disc. (I do not recall of any DVD Drive that would READ a DL disc without being able to WRITE a DL disc off the top of my head that came with any Mac) If you go into ABOUT THIS MAC, click on More info on the machines that are not playing your discs you can see what type of drive is in there.

What about the DVDs from NetFlix and Blockbuster sometime that are larger than 4.7 Gig? Those play alright. Are they different?

Yes they are different than DLs made on a computer, they go through replication which produces a DL Disc that is different than what you produce from a computer. Think about when CD burners started coming out, then CD-RW etc. Even though a computer, or CD Player, would be able to play manufacturered CDs, some would not play CD-RW back. Same general concept going on here.

Can I then ask, with all the trouble it seems to even PLAY a DL disk on a computer OR on a set top DVD player......WHY would one choose a DL disc as an option for a large project? Should I tear this project apart and put it on two normal 4.7 GB disks?

Sometimes it is a pain keeping it straight what would work and what would not, but there are many players out there that will handle DL from computers. I have a Phillips that plays them perfectly fine on my television.

One of the reasons to do the DL is to get a disc that is easy to proof. Back before DL discs there were various workarounds to be able to see how a larger project that was coming along prior to replication- recompressing or deleting portions of the DVD then burning other portions

As to whether it is worth redoing, it is up to you as to whether it makes sense for the whole thing to be on one DVD as oppossed to split up. For some things, ssucch as things for family and friends and so forth, I often find DVD-5s do fine in the context of the project

Also just in case something happened when you were stepping through Toast(Note that it is Toast 6, but same idea applies)

http://dvdstepbystep.com/toast6.jpg

Note that you you should be in the Video Tab (third from left/second from right) and be in the Advanced settings (The column on the left) You create a New Disc by clicking on the icon on the buttom left and bringing in the Audio_TS and Video_TS folder on just bring in the enclosing folder for the build which will include the Audio_TS and Video_TS folders. Then make sure that you set for DVD DL in the drop down on the lower right near the Red Ball

Oct 16, 2006 10:56 AM in response to Drew13

Thanks so much for all yor help. Even if I'm able to get a successful build, I'm wondering if it's worth the trouble and money to go with DL discs now...this is for family and friends and I do not want to go to the expense to send out 50 of these and then come to find out no one can play them.

Perhaps I should get them replicated on discs that will be compatible? If I send them for duplication, will they indeed be more compatible with set top DVD players as well as computers? Some of the family members are elderly and will not have the most recent DVD players on the market, etc. I had NO idea the DL discs were an issue when I started this.

Should I send it out for duplication perhaps? I do want it to be on one disc rather than two.

Oct 16, 2006 12:26 PM in response to AWright

AWright.

I just called two local dupe houses and they both told me the same thing...DL discs are generally used simply to test a project before sending to a duplication house...or for data backup. These local houses don't even do dupes on anything but single-layer. They suggested I break apart the project into two single-layer 4.7 GB discs...which I CAN do but don't want to...I bought the dual layer for this project as well as spent nearly $65 on DL discs...only to find out I can't use them.

FYI, I had read on multiple boards and been told by many people that +R is the most compatible but these local houses said that was only for data disks on mostly the PC...they said for discs that you expect to play on DVD players, that the -R is best (I have +R, naturally).

He said he does not know of many players that will play dual-layer discs and suggested I stick to single layer. Sigh. What a waste of time, effort and $$ on my end..and I RESEARCHED this before doing it...but there's so much conflicting info out there on technology...

Oct 16, 2006 12:41 PM in response to iSwitcher

FYI, I had read on multiple boards and been told by many people that +R is the most compatible but these local houses said that was only for data disks on mostly the PC...they said for discs that you expect to play on DVD players, that the -R is best (I have +R, naturally).

You are right to have +R for DL, -R for single layer usually works better (used to be a bigger differrence in using -R over +R for single layer)

More Dual Layer Problems..and a DVD Player question

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.