Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Configuring Apple Mail with Gmail

The web is filled with countless opinions on how Gmail should be configured with Mail.app (on the Behaviors tab) and I think I've tried them all...unsuccessfully, since Gmail was first released. A few times a year I try Mail.app again, simply because I like it, but after a few days I'm back to another email client because Mail.app and Gmail can't seem to play nice together.

There are so many possible option variations on the Behaviors tab in Mail.app that it's impossible to figure out what works best with Gmail. I don't use Gmail's "Archive" feature and instead delete messages I want to actually be deleted. But has anyone found a definitive way to configure the options on this tab so Mail.app system folders mimic Gmail's system folders and everything just works?

iMac, OS X Yosemite (10.10.2)

Posted on Apr 3, 2015 4:18 AM

Question marked as Best reply
13 replies

Apr 3, 2015 7:02 PM in response to Eric Root

Eric, thanks for the reply, but the first link is dead and the other four I already have in Evernote, along with about 10 others...all with conflicting guidance, unfortunately. Even Google's guidance for using Gmail with Mail.app is rubbish, unless, of course, you want to archive every message you have and never delete anything.

With a lot of experimenting I've got things configured to at least function reasonably well, but I am still hopeful someone has gone through this before me and has all the secrets to it working perfectly. It's a combination of the proper settings on the "Behavior Tab" along with "Menu|Mailbox|Use This Mailbox As", but it's honestly not as simple as it might seem...there are just too many possible combinations.

Configuring the actual gmail client is straightforward and I don't have any problems there, but even in this area the last four articles don't agree. Some say to leave IMAP off for "All Mail" while others say to leave it on. Obviously, it has to be on if I want to see "All Mail" in Mail.app.

I appreciate your response, but maybe someone will drop by who's definitively figured this out. After fighting this battle for over a decade I'm not sure it will ever be won :-) Thanks again.

Apr 4, 2015 6:44 PM in response to Larry McJunkin

The key for using gmail in Mail is to get the functions of Mail to duplicate in gmail. The setup in Article (4) is the best way I've found.

For Labels, show only the main mailboxes and hide the rest in IMAP. The All Mail Folder in gmail is a pain and serves no useful purpose to me. The equivalent of the All Mail Folder in Mail would be a Smart Mailbox showing messages in every mailbox setup in Mail. In Yosemite, gmail's All Mail Folder shows in the Archived Mailbox in Mail (even with the archiving function off in gmail settings). Hide it from showing in IMAP unless you actually use it.

If you want to show the gmail spam mailbox, that's fine. You can map it to Mail's Junk mailbox.

For the Forwarding/POP&IMAP settings at the gmail site, set those boxes as described in the article. Auto-Expunge OFF & Move Message to Trash checked.

One thing I've found is that when you delete a messages from the trash in Mail, it doesn't remove it from the gmail site in trash. But gmail's trash is set to delete within 30 days, so it's not a problem. You have to manually remove it there if you want it done in less than 30 days. If you select the message in the Trash at the gmail webmail site and choose delete forever, it will remove it from Mail's trash immediately.

For settings in Mail, check the boxes to store messages for all except Drafts. Drafts are a problem with IMAP accounts. When you are writing a new message, mail autosaves a copy every few minutes or so. This creates duplicates drafts on the server which won't be deleted. If you leave drafts local to the computer, Mail will delete the draft when the message is sent. Unless you need to complete drafts on a different device at another time, just leave drafts unchecked.

This is the best setup I've found for using gmail accounts in Apple Mail. This setup will generally keep both the webmail site and the Mail application the same.

Apr 4, 2015 6:44 PM in response to Glenn Leblanc

Glenn, thanks for your comments, but reading Jeff Shuette's original article again (which I'd read before a couple of times) and then reading his follow-up article he added after Mavericks released, and then all the comments on his blog following that second article, things are still messed up, and obviously not just for me.

I have to keep All Mail turned on in Gmail IMAP because often I want to find a message in All Mail in Apple Mail without having to go back to the Gmail web interface to find it. So turning off All mail IMAP is not an option.

Checking "Store Sent Messages on Server" and "Store Drafts on Server" add both of these items to "On My Mac", which is not what I want http://take.ms/1YmZk My Sent messages are already right above this in the Sent Messages folder and my Draft messages appear in the Gmail Drafts folder under my Gmail account name. So there is simply no way I could envision any Gmail user wanting to check these top two items on the Behavior Tab. Right now I have the Behavior Tab on my Gmail account setup like this - http://take.ms/dQAFf and my drafts appear in the Drafts folder in my Gmail account folder list and my Sent messages appear in the Sent messages folder for my Gmail account, at the top, just under my inboxs.

Perhaps this is as close as I can get things to perfect. My remaining problem is to only keep in All Mail the messages that are in my inbox or any other valid IMAP label in Gmail. I just don't buy into the Google theory of keeping absolutely everything in All Mail forever. I delete the messages I want deleted and if I could just find a way to remove from All Mail the other few types of messages that get stashed there, I'd be happy.

Soon, the long awaited "Gmail for Mac" app will release in the MAS and perhaps it will be the real solution. I know the best way to use Gmail is to simply use it in its own web interface, but I happen to like Mail.app's UI so that's why I keep on trying to make this work.

Apr 4, 2015 7:30 PM in response to Larry McJunkin

"Checking "Store Sent Messages on Server" and "Store Drafts on Server" add both of these items to "On My Mac", which is not what I want http://take.ms/1YmZk My Sent messages are already right above this in the Sent Messages folder and my Draft messages appear in the Gmail Drafts folder under my Gmail account name. So there is simply no way I could envision any Gmail user wanting to check these top two items on the Behavior Tab. Right now I have the Behavior Tab on my Gmail account setup like this - http://take.ms/dQAFf and my drafts appear in the Drafts folder in my Gmail account folder list and my Sent messages appear in the Sent messages folder for my Gmail account, at the top, just under my inboxs."

When you check to store messages, drafts, etc. on the server, any local mailboxes already created will be moved to On My Mac. That is what you are seeing. The server mailboxes will replace them under the main. You can move those messages within the local mailboxes under On My Mac back to the server mailboxes and delete those local ones. Since you have Sent & Drafts unchecked to store messages on the server, drafts and sent messages will not be available to other devices. However, I've already stated that storing Drafts on the server is a problem and I recommended it remain unchecked. The server draft mailbox will appear under the gmail account. For Sent messages, I recommend checking to Store Sent messages on the server. This will keep all devices synced.

Whether or not you want to use the All Mail Folder is your choice. You can't choose what it shows because the All Mail Folder shows messages in every label gmail provides. A message can't exist just in the All Mail Folder and can't exclude one that has a label attached to it. So if a message in the All Mail folder has an Inbox label and you delete it, the label will change to Deleted Item. If you delete it again, it will change to Trash. If you move it to another created gmail label, it will still be in the All Mail Folder. It remains in the All Mail folder until it is removed permanently from all gmail labels (mailboxes).

If you have created other Labels at the gmail website and you want to use them for organization, you can show them in IMAP. They will appear under the gmail account in the sidebar. All mailboxes and labels shown in Mail will be searchable. So if you want to look for a particular message, there is no reason to go back to the webmail site to find it whether or not you feel the need to use All Mail Folder.

As I said, using All Mail is your choice. Just enable it in IMAP.

I don't really use the gmail account that often, but my simple setup works just fine. I think trying to set it up differently just causes more issues and failures. I just prefer using my ATT and Apple email more. Much less issues with those. I use gmail when I need a different provider for various reasons.

Apr 4, 2015 7:40 PM in response to Glenn Leblanc

Thanks again, Glenn. I'll digest your additional comments, but I'm beginning to think I need to just use the Gmail web UI (or Gmail for Mac when it releases) and then everything will be correct on all my devices. My problem is I have my private domain on Google, use their paid service for me and my wife's accounts, so 99% of my email is Gmail and the other 1% can be on Apple Mail. If I were like you and didn't have the Gmail dependency, I probably wouldn't even worry about it. Thanks again for your help.

Apr 4, 2015 7:56 PM in response to Larry McJunkin

Do what you know is reliable for you. I was just trying to give a little insight on what I know works well for me.

You can play around with the settings in Mail and you may get comfortable with it. Maybe with time and a little more understanding of the settings and how they work, you may find that happy place with using mail for gmail. Using the webmail site isn't bad at all.

I don't know of gmail for mac apps coming in the future for computers, but I don't really keep up with that. I know there is an iPhone app, but I've never tried it. Sure it works fine.

Good Luck

Apr 4, 2015 8:19 PM in response to Larry McJunkin

First I see of this. It's looks like it may be the ticket for avid gmail users. It should definitely solve the problem of using their complex email setup on Macs.

The problem I see with this is that many people use additional email clients besides gmail. So, people will have to use the gmail app in addition to Mail or another email client to access their other accounts. Unless, this app will also configure other email providers. This is possible, but will people have to go through the inconsistencies of this app working properly with someone like apple mail or yahoo mail?

I see this as a big bonus to people who use gmail exclusively. Not so sure about this for multiple provider users though. It should definitely be a plus for you.

Apr 4, 2015 8:59 PM in response to Glenn Leblanc

Agree, and I think Gmail for Mac will only work with Gmail accounts, but at least multiple ones. There was some earlier talk about it working with other email services, but that seems to have gone away. I do think it will work for me and my other two accounts I'll just keep in apple Mail as they are one normal IMAP account and my iCloud account (which I never use).

Much of why Gmail and Apple Mail don't play well together is not Mail.app's fault. Gmail has some "issues" and does things differently than normal IMAP services, so I don't blame Apple Mail, I just wish it worked better, without the hassle. Maybe there will be some improvements in Mail with OS X 10.10.3.

Apr 6, 2015 8:55 AM in response to Larry McJunkin

Thanks everyone for all your insights. I have tried virtually every combination of settings--including those above-- and am still completely confused, and I am not a complete amateur. I get multiple copies of sent messages, am confused about Sent Messages and Sent Mail--not to mention the Sent box under the Inbox heading, which seems to sometimes contain my sent mail and sometimes not. I still have to go into All Mail to retrieve deleted emails, as my Trash folder no longer seems to work...I wish I had never signed up for Gmail, and am in the process of cleaning up the 25,000 mostly useless messages it has archived. Now I just have a link to the web interface on my desktop. Will flee Gmail, and maybe try a third-party mail client-- when I have the time to make the transition. It just seems unbelievable that there is no way to set up simple IMAP, where there is an inbox, sent box, drafts box and trash box (period) for each account, and when you delete something it actually gets deleted. Seems like Outlook Express and Yahoo Mail did this fine back when I used them.

Apr 6, 2015 2:06 PM in response to JWD88

I couldn't agree more, JWD88. I really want to use Apple Mail...I like it, I like the UI, I like the way it handles conversations, but like you, I'm not an amateur, I'm retired from owning a computing company and it's impossible for Gmail and Apple Mail to play perfectly together. If you add Gmail to any other email client on the planet it just works, no need to setup things like are on the "Behavior Tab"...it's not needed.

With my private domain on Google and the fact that no one...absolutely no one, does spam control like Gmail, I have to use Gmail. But I hate the Gmail web UI. Plus, I'd like to use an email client that can handle my other three email accounts, and Gmail can't do this. And I just don't like any of the other email clients, like Postbox, Thunderbird, etc., I've tried them all and the ones that aren't free I have purchased.

I guess I'm going to have to just give up and use the Gmail web UI for my primary account and use Apple Mail for the other three. Maybe someday Apple will figure this all out. I have no doubt that much of the problem is Gmail's fault, but I don't understand why it works perfectly with all the other email clients.

Configuring Apple Mail with Gmail

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.