Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

why does iDVD keep crashing in yosemite?

I installed iDVD from the iLife 09 disk (custom install) after uninstalling iDVD 06 and deleting the themes folder from the iDVD folder in Applications Support in Library. The install restored the themes folder. Every time I open iDVD and try to select any of the options from the opening screen, the program tries to load the themes, then crashes. I'm running this on a mid-2013 MacBook Air with 8 GB of memory. Want to use iDVD to burn an iDVD project created from an iPhoto slideshow.

MacBook Air (13-inch Mid 2013), OS X Yosemite (10.10.2)

Posted on Apr 3, 2015 5:42 AM

13 replies

Apr 3, 2015 9:11 AM in response to jimbow46

Try this basic troubleshooting fix:

1 - delete the IDVD preference file, com.apple.iDVD.plist, that resides in your

User/Home/Library/Preferences folder.

2 - delete the contents of IDVD'S cache folder: User/Home/Library/Caches/com.apple.iDVD.

User uploaded file

3 - launch IDVD and try again.

NOTE: In Lion and Mountain Lion the Home/Library folder is now invisible. To make it permanently visible enter the following in the Terminal application window: chflags nohidden ~/Library and press the Return key - 10.7: Un-hide the User Library folder.

If you're running Mavericks or Yosemite go to your Home folder and use the View ➙ Show View Options menu to bring the this window:

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

Apr 3, 2015 4:55 PM in response to jimbow46

See if you can open iDVD and get to its Advanced preference pane. There point iDVD to the location of the Themes folder:

User uploaded file

You can also give this a try: Boot into the Recovery volume (boot with the Command + R keys held down), select Disk Utility and repair both the disk and disk permissions. Reboot and try iDVD again.

why does iDVD keep crashing in yosemite?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.