Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How Can I Manually Burn an iDVD Project to a DVD Without iDVD?

Hi. Can anyone tell me how I can burn an iDVD project to a disk without iDVD? On my iBook G4, I have iDVD and I can make projects, but the iBook cannot burn DVDs, only CDs. So I put the iDVD project on a MacBook Pro running Yosemite, which can burn DVDs. But I don't know how to burn the project. Do I have to burn a certain file in the package contents? So, I need a way to burn a iDVD project manually to a disk without iDVD. Please help.

iBook, Mac OS X (10.4.11), G4, and

MacBook Pro, OS X Yosemite (10.10.2)

Posted on Apr 3, 2015 5:59 AM

5 replies

Apr 3, 2015 9:14 AM in response to HFTaylor12

Save the iDVD project as a disk image:

User uploaded file

Copy the disk image to the Mac with the internal optical drive and burn from there.

Follow this workflow to help assure the best qualty video DVD:

Once you have the project as you want it save it as a disk image via the File ➙ Save as Disk Image menu option. This will separate the encoding process from the burn process.

To check the encoding mount the disk image, launch DVD Player and play it. If it plays OK with DVD Player the encoding is good.

Copy the disk image to your other Mac.

Then burn to disk with Disk Utility or Toast at the slowest speed available (2x-4x) to assure the best burn quality. Always use top quality media: Verbatim, Maxell or Taiyo Yuden DVD-R are the most recommended in these forums.

User uploaded file

Apr 9, 2015 3:02 AM in response to HFTaylor12

Hi

to make a Video-DVD - one needs an iDVD authoring program as iDVD

else You get an Data-DVD that will not play on any standard DVD-player

In Your iBook - make Your DVD authoring/layout/structure

Save as a DiskImage

Store this on any Mac OS Extended formatted device (Not DOS or UNIX or any other format - must be this) - else file breaks and can not be repaired on target device e.g. MacBook Pro.

Connect to MacBook and copy over to this (at least I use to do this)

Open Disk Util tool

Select the DiskImage

Burn it onto a new DVD disk

I use:

- only Verbatim

- only DVD-R

- at an as slow speed possibly (far less burn errors due to this)

Good Luck !

Yours Bengt W

How Can I Manually Burn an iDVD Project to a DVD Without iDVD?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.