Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Cannot eject an audio Cd from MBP 2010 superdrive, help

This is the 4th CD to get stuck. I managed to eject thrice before. Now even though the cd icon shows up on my desktop as also the Finder sidebar and iTunes. It refuses to come out. The superdrive tries hard with all the right sounds but takes it back in as the tray just won't come out. I have done the Terminal type, restarted the machine holding down the mouse pad, tilted it sideways pressing the behind while pressing the eject tab and what not. Is there any other method I could try. Thanks in advance for your suggestions.

MacBook Pro, OS X Mavericks (10.9.5), external hard drive not reading

Posted on Apr 3, 2015 9:43 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 3, 2015 9:59 AM

Five ways to eject a stuck CD or DVD from the optical drive

Ejecting the stuck disc can usually be done in one of the following ways:

1. Restart the computer and after the chime press and hold down the

left mouse button until the disc ejects.

2. Press the Eject button on your keyboard.

3. Click on the Eject button in the menubar.

4. Press COMMAND-E.

5. If none of the above work try this: Open the Terminal application in

your Utilities folder. At the prompt enter or paste the following:

/usr/bin/drutil eject

If this fails then try this:

Boot the computer into Single-user Mode. At the prompt enter the same command as used above. To restart the computer enter "reboot" at the prompt without quotes.

12 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 3, 2015 9:59 AM in response to shubum

Five ways to eject a stuck CD or DVD from the optical drive

Ejecting the stuck disc can usually be done in one of the following ways:

1. Restart the computer and after the chime press and hold down the

left mouse button until the disc ejects.

2. Press the Eject button on your keyboard.

3. Click on the Eject button in the menubar.

4. Press COMMAND-E.

5. If none of the above work try this: Open the Terminal application in

your Utilities folder. At the prompt enter or paste the following:

/usr/bin/drutil eject

If this fails then try this:

Boot the computer into Single-user Mode. At the prompt enter the same command as used above. To restart the computer enter "reboot" at the prompt without quotes.

Apr 3, 2015 10:27 AM in response to Kappy

Thank you Kappy, Have tried all these methods and don't seem to work. The first time this happened when I was transferring some music off a CD to my brand new iPod touch I checked discussions and followed your instructions then. Though the cd did not eject immediately, it did come popping out when I restarted the computer after shutting it down for 9 hrs. Now its over 24 hrs and none of the above seems to be working. Any other way out or advise?

Apr 4, 2015 12:52 AM in response to Kappy

Thanks once more Kappy, but how do figure if if the optical drive mechanism is faulty or if the CD is at fault? The drutil method didn't work the past two times I tried. The CD does show up on my desktop, as well as utitlities and itunes panes. Each time I trash it from the desktop or eject from the tabs on itunes utilities or Finder panes, it makes a proper ejecting sound followed by a shorter sound as it seems to roll back into play mode. I hope its a stuck label in which case is there a way to unstuck it?

Apr 8, 2015 5:18 AM in response to shubum

Since none of the options mentioned worked I suspected what Kappy said about the superdrive might just be true. So took the MBP to applecare center and was told that the superdrive was faulty and would need replacement. The cost is very high and I seem not to want to spend so much on an old laptop (that may end up having a string of other problems too in the near future, though I'm hoping not). Any suggestions on a cost effective solution to replacement is welcome. Please help.

Apr 9, 2015 1:09 AM in response to shubum

okay, sorry to hear about your superdrive going kaput, but it does happen. Your options are 2-an external drive and replacing the superdrive yourself. If you are patient and handy with a few tools. it's not impossible

. check out macsales.com or ifixit.com for some ideas about that.

here's a repair guide from ifixit. I don't work for them or have any affiliation with them whatever. The guide is just for information

https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/MacBook+Pro+15-Inch+Unibody+Mid+2010+Optical+Drive+ Replacement/3074

good luck to you

John B

Apr 9, 2015 1:10 AM in response to shubum

shubum wrote:

Meanwhile would you know if the external version being sold in apple stores would work with an old MBP such as mine? Is that an option at all?

It may not out of the box because it was specifically designed to work with Macs lacking an internal DVD drive. But if you use these procedures described here, it should work:

http://www.hardturm.ch/luz/2011/10/how-to-make-the-macbook-air-superdrive-work-w ith-any-mac/

Your simplest option is to purchase an generic DVD drive which will be compatible right out of the box.

Ciao.

Apr 9, 2015 1:09 AM in response to OGELTHORPE

Thanks for the tips will shop around for a compatible usb drive there's onecheap LG that works as I gathered from another helpful member 'dwd' on another forum. Will get on with hack idea in case I have trouble with the LG option as it suits my pocket for experimentation. It's 4 times cheaper than the apple usb superdrive and one tenth the price of replacing the faulty internal one with a new one. Thanks all of you.

Cannot eject an audio Cd from MBP 2010 superdrive, help

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.