Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

What can be done to force top sites to retain the ones I've pinned?

Running the latest versions of Yosemite and Safari (not the beta versions).

I cannot get the Top Sites to retain all the sites I've pinned. I've got 2 spots left and no matter what I do *unpin" every site and add the 2 sites and then pin them all, do it separately, delete the preferences file for top sites, etc, the last two "spots" will not stay pinned. I can pin them even one at a time, open up a new tab with Top Sites and the pinned site will be there. Open another page and the newly pinned site is gone when Top Sites is opened in a new tab.

Any help???

MacBook Pro, OS X Mavericks (10.9)

Posted on Apr 3, 2015 11:24 AM

10 replies

Apr 19, 2015 11:12 AM in response to Raicya

Thanks but that wasn't helpful at all. I've been using the Top Sites for a long time. I recently installed a new hard drive and did a clean install and migrated my info from the backup. At that point, the Top Sites has been wonky. If you'll notice, I've done a lot of troubleshooting (beyond what the link posted offers) and still, Top Sites doesn't keep the last 2 sites pinned.

Apr 20, 2015 7:21 AM in response to Jay Hill

Try a reset.

Safari/Preferences/Advanced - enable the Develop menu, then go there and Empty Caches. Quit/reopen Safari and test. Then try Safari/History/Show History and delete all history items. Quit/reopen Safari and test. You can also try try Safari/Clear History and Web Site Data. The down side is it clears all cookies.Doing this may cause some sites to no longer recognize your computer as one that has visited the web site.

May 5, 2015 5:34 AM in response to Jay Hill

I have encountered one site that won't stay pinned. It is always this particular site which can't stay pinned, and it only disappears from Top Sites after quitting and restarting Safari (so Top Sites works properly as long as I don't quit Safari). Does this also describe your problem?

May 5, 2015 6:24 AM in response to CT

That's only one issue of it for me. It also replaces pinned sites with recently visited sites even when I don't add them to the Top Sites. Then, when I close the newly replaced site in Top Sites, it completely removes that tile, even removing the originally pinned site. Top Sites in this latest version of Safari is a hot mess.

What can be done to force top sites to retain the ones I've pinned?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.