Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I fix this problem with Faces on my iPhoto?

Recently, I bought a new MacBook Pro (with Retina Display, Early 2015, 500 GB.) When I restored my information from a Time Machine backup, everything appeared to be perfect. However, when I actually started looking through iPhoto, my photos began incorrectly rotating themselves before my eyes.

I tried just about everything to fix this. I went through all the processes of "repair permissions," "rebuild thumbnails," "repair database," and "rebuild database," and none of those fixed the problem. Worse, more continue to incorrectly rotate themselves before my eyes as I view them. Usually, the ones that rotate themselves are portraits, but occasionally landscape photos do the same. Also, when I select "reveal in finder" for a photo that has rotated itself incorrectly, the "original file" is always correct, while the "modified file" is incorrect. I don't know why this "modified file" comes about because I am certainly not modifying it.

Taking a suggestion from a user here in the Apple Support Community, I used iPhoto Library Manager to rebuild a new library from my original one. This appeared to work really well. Although many photos were rotated incorrectly, this appeared to be organic, and I wasn't noticing photos being incorrectly rotated as I looked through them. So, I set out to complete the long task of rotating all of my photos correctly in my new iPhoto library.

However, I've encountered another problem (in the new library only.) iPhoto isn't recognizing when I change, add, or delete faces. If I do any of those three things, the information bar still recognizes the original state of faces (i.e. saying "2 unnamed faces" when I just named the faces or deleted the empty boxes.) This is annoying because it makes my library inconsistent, and I would at least like the option of using the feature.

So, I now have two iPhoto libraries: my original one that keeps rotating photos incorrectly as I look through them and one that doesn't acknowledge changes made to faces.

I would really appreciate any help in trying to fix either of my libraries. I hope to make one perfect soon and delete the other one to make more space, but I want to be completely satisfied with one before I delete the other.

Thank you so much,

Luke

iPhoto '11, OS X Yosemite (10.10.2), iPhoto 9.6.1

Posted on Apr 3, 2015 12:35 PM

There are no replies.

How do I fix this problem with Faces on my iPhoto?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.