Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How Can I Set Up iChat in Tiger?

Hello. How can I set up iChat in OS X Tiger? I don't have a .Mac account, or a .Me account, but I do have an iCloud account and an Apple ID. How can I use these to set up iChat?

iBook, Mac OS X (10.4.11), G4

Posted on Apr 3, 2015 3:46 PM

4 replies

Apr 4, 2015 10:56 AM in response to HFTaylor12

Hi, I'm not sure icloud account works with 10.4.11, but you can get a free AOL/AIM account that will work...

Creating a new AIM ID

If your system cannot be upgraded to OS X 10.7.2 or later, you can create a new AIM ID to use with your current version of OS X by following these steps:

1. Create a new AIM ID from the AOL website.
  2. Add this new account to iChat by following the instructions in this article.
  3. After setting up your AIM account in iChat, Open iChat preferences.
  4. Click the Accounts button in the preferences window, then select your new AIM account from the list of accounts.
  5. Click the Server Settings tab and make sure that the option to use SSL is selected for your new AIM account.
  6. Close the iChat preferences window.
  7. Creating a new Apple ID requires you to re-add your buddies to your new buddy list. Re-add your buddies to your by following the instructions in this article.
  8. Remove your old mac.com account from iChat preferences.

OS X: Using me.com or mac.com IDs with AIM in iChat requires OS X v10.7.2 or later - Apple Support

How Can I Set Up iChat in Tiger?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.