Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Windows pile into one monitor after dual monitors sleep

I have a 2013 MacPro, and until recently was running dual Dell 2007FP monitors. When my screens went to sleep from no activity, everything would be as it was left when I woke them up. I just upgraded one of the two screens to a Dell P2415Q (4k) monitor, which is being used as my primary screen.

Both monitors go to sleep at the same time, and if I wake them up right away – in the case where I'm sitting in front of them - all is fine. However, when they sleep for any extended periods of time 10+ minutes it seems, all the windows from my second older monitor pile into the main screen, and I have to go through the very annoying task of rearranging the windows.

The new Dell monitor is connected via the Thunderbolt to DisplayPort connector, incase that has anything to do with it. The other Dell uses an Active MiniDisplayPort (TB) to DVI-D connector.

Wondering if anyone has any thoughts about this, or have experienced a similar situation with other screens? Note, I don't have my machine set to sleep at all (never put it to sleep), and keep hard drives and system active. Only the displays put themselves into Power Save mode.

Thank you

Stephen

Mac Pro, OS X Yosemite (10.10.2), 32GB RAM, 3.5Ghz 6-Core, Dual D500

Posted on Apr 3, 2015 3:47 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 3, 2015 5:30 PM

The Mac uses a single highly-parameterized Driver for every display. The parameters are set based on the reported capabilities of your display. The Mac issues a query to the display at certain times:

• wake from sleep

• Mac cable-end inserted

• when requested with Option-(Detect Displays) in System Preferences > Displays

Many multi-Input displays have a tragic flaw. The displays search round-robin through their inputs, looking for the first one that is active. If the Display is not looking at the correct input when the Mac issues its query, the request will be missed, and the Mac takes no answer as the equivalent of "no display", and that display stays dark.

If your display can be set to pay attention ONLY to the Mac attachment port, most displays (except those that are extremely slow at waking up) will always answer when the Mac sends its query, and this problem will disappear.

29 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 3, 2015 5:30 PM in response to Stephen Barrante

The Mac uses a single highly-parameterized Driver for every display. The parameters are set based on the reported capabilities of your display. The Mac issues a query to the display at certain times:

• wake from sleep

• Mac cable-end inserted

• when requested with Option-(Detect Displays) in System Preferences > Displays

Many multi-Input displays have a tragic flaw. The displays search round-robin through their inputs, looking for the first one that is active. If the Display is not looking at the correct input when the Mac issues its query, the request will be missed, and the Mac takes no answer as the equivalent of "no display", and that display stays dark.

If your display can be set to pay attention ONLY to the Mac attachment port, most displays (except those that are extremely slow at waking up) will always answer when the Mac sends its query, and this problem will disappear.

Apr 3, 2015 4:03 PM in response to Stephen Barrante

I have a Del UP2414Q as primary monitor connected via mini display port and an Asus 1080p also connect via mini displayport. Awhile ago I has similar problem and it went away. Now the only problem is that after extended display-sleep or may Power Nap the Dell will not come back on. Usually I just power off the Dell and it comes back on. Sometimes have to disconnect the video cable from the Mac to get it to com back on.

You can try resetting the SMC and PRAM.

Intel-based Macs: Resetting the System Management Controller (SMC)

About NVRAM and PRAM

Apr 3, 2015 6:52 PM in response to Grant Bennet-Alder

I appreciate the replies. I may need to clarify, or I'm possibly not understandong your suggestions. The display wakes up just fine everytime. Its just that after extended periods of sleep when it wakes up my machine behaves as if, momentarily, I removed my second dsiplay. As a result, all the windows on the second display get piled up into my primary display and I have to then drag everything back over. Does that still apply to your solutions?

Apr 3, 2015 7:17 PM in response to Stephen Barrante

all the windows on the second display get piled up into my primary display and I have to then drag everything back over.

When a display goes missing, the Mac moves the windows that were on that [non-functioning] display toward the center of the remaining extended desktop, so that at least some portion of each existing window will be visible and manipulable on a display somewhere. This is by design, and avoids having windows become lost when a display is no longer a part of your current configuration.

What you are telling me by reporting this symptom is that your second display goes missing, at least for a while, and the Mac responds as it was designed to.

To avoid this problem, your display must answer the Mac's wake-from-asleep query promptly, else be declared "absent".

Apr 3, 2015 7:28 PM in response to Grant Bennet-Alder

Hi Grant, I believe at this point we agree on the symptoms but not the cause. This problem was only introduced when I added the new monitor and the key difference (unless it's really on the monitor side) is that they use two different cables. It's like the new monitor is acknowledged just slightly sooner tnan my old monitor using the active connector. But that seams really odd behavior.

NOt sure how to tackle it. One thing I noticed is that my new monitor has a mini display port IN, which Im not using. I'm curios if that means I can run a thinderbolt to thunderbolt connect to the monitor, and if that would make any difference

Apr 4, 2015 7:17 AM in response to Stephen Barrante

It's like the new monitor is acknowledged just slightly sooner tnan my old monitor using the active connector.

If that were the case, your new monitor would simply show up a little later, with its windows still in place.

Instead, the Mac decides at some point that your new monitor is "not present" at some point during the wakeup process.

Waking up a few microseconds later gets you a picture, but the windows have already been moved off it, because the Mac decided that display was not working.

If there is a setting in your new display to focus ONLY on the port you are using for connection to your Mac, rather than hunting for an active port (and missing the query from the Mac) this problem will stop.

Apr 4, 2015 9:08 AM in response to Grant Bennet-Alder

Did a bit of digging through the manual as well as the OSD settings and it looks like it's locked into the Input Source. So it does't look like it's hunting for a source when the mac triggers it to wake up. In my past experience even that hasn't triggered this kind of result. As long as the cable is physically plugged into the port, the mac usually recognizes that there is a monitor, and maintains the screen / window placement. This kind of contradicts my original hypothesis, but at least this was the way it used to behave when I had matched monitors.

It's very likely, in the very near future, I'll be getting a second one of these displays, and you would think as a happy side-effect this problem would eliminate itself. But in the meantime, I'd still love to fix it.

Gonna give the old "PRAM" / VRAM fix a try and see if that does anything.

Jun 30, 2015 4:29 AM in response to Stephen Barrante

I am having the exact same issue. In my case, however, my mid-2012 MBPr is in a docking station with the lid closed to save desk space. I am a web developer, and typically have tons of open windows, all arranged a particular way, and it's extremely annoying to have them all snapped back up to the top left corner every time I walk away for a few minutes. My MBPr is normally in the "docked" configuration for probably 90% of the time, only being removed when I need to meet with clients, have the urge to work from the coffee shop for a change, or have some reason to travel (usually vacation). I end up having to deal with this problem too many times a day.

I agree with @Grant that the issue is most likely the "ping" request sent by the Mac, but I don't think it's due to input cycling on the monitor. My thought is that it has to do with the monitor entering "sleep" mode itself, and taking a tad longer to wake up to reply to said "ping", thus causing the issue described by @Grant. My theory stems from the fact that when this issue DOES happen for me it always has an OSD message saying the monitor is waking from sleep (and it's usually at the login prompt), but this does not happen when the MBPr screensaver is on by itself. I have dug through all the settings I could find and have not been able to find anything that allows you to turn off the sleep mode to be able to test this theory.

Jun 30, 2015 5:53 AM in response to Stephen Barrante

Have a call in to tech support I have narrowed my issue down to how spaces handles multiple monitors. Can anyone here please verify does switching from spaces all shared to different spaces for individual monitors and see if the problem occurs then? switch to individual spaces on each monitor fixes my issue but I don't want to have to switch every monitors space.

Jun 30, 2015 6:04 AM in response to Michael Bauer1

Hey Michael,

I'm pretty sure it is related to how the OS recognizes a monitor being available just after waking up the displays. I never put my machine to sleep, but because the two monitors that I now have are different, there is enough delay with the way they respond to the wake command. I'm sure Apple has some timeout setting just prior to rendering to the active display, so you don't see your windows jump over to the only one that's active. Unfortunately it appears that this timeout is what's causing the OS think the display has been removed, just as if you were to physically disconnect the monitor – and pulls everything over.

I haven't tried anything with spaces and multiple monitors. It's possible there is a work around, but really I just want it to work the way my two matched monitors did. For now, I'll have to just deal with it, until they either solve it through software or I replace my other old display.

(Fwiw, the new Dell P2415Q is AWESOME)

Windows pile into one monitor after dual monitors sleep

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.