Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can MoCA Cable Adapters Be Used To Connect Ethernet to Apple TV?

I don't want to run a new 50'-60' ethernet line throughout the house (through the basement), to connect an ethernet line from my 2013 iMac Modem to the Apple TV . and was wondering if anyone has experience using the newer MoCA cable line adapters for their ethernet extensions?

Below is the MoCA adapter I am considering using:

User uploaded file

ActionTec MoCA Cable/Ethernet Adapter(s)

iMac (21.5-inch, Late 2012), OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.5), Apple TV, iPhone 4S

Posted on Apr 3, 2015 5:57 PM

17 replies

Apr 4, 2015 11:50 AM in response to DavidMac

Or yet … here's another possible wiring layout that has a 2GHz Monster splitter coming first, before main TimeWarner Cable TV / Internet cable line enters MoCA adapter (with an in-line POE MoCA filter going in before MoCA adapter too). Cable line for iMac computer (and modem), would split off before going into MoCa adapter.

Does this seem better than previously shown layout, in previous post?

This version seems like a better solution than the previous wiring layouts I showed.

User uploaded file

I plan on forwarding the above wiring layout to ActionTec Tech Support, for their opinion on this possible set-up working for my Apple TV MoCA wiring layout.

Apr 4, 2015 3:49 PM in response to DavidMac

Yes, but not the way you have illustrated, this is the wrong way round. What you propose may be illegal as you would be intercepting the cable companies equipment and data, which you have no right to interfere with.

Instead, look at the Actiontec illustration below to see how MoCa creates an Ethernet Distribution System in the home.

A minimum of two units are required to create the distributed signal; one transmitter and one receiver for each connected device.

The object of a MoCa system is to distribute an ethernet signal, you illustrated how to distribute a cable com signal.

User uploaded file

Also, click this link to read the ethernet adapter install guide: Actiontec MoCa network Adapter Install Guide

Apr 5, 2015 2:29 AM in response to Gary Scotland

" … you would be intercepting the cable companies equipment and data, which you have no right to interfere with."

What are you talking about? It's my incoming house cable line from TimeWarner that I PAY $165.00 A MONTHG FOR.

I pay for TimeWarner High Speed Internet, HD TV Cable, a TimeWarner TV cable box, and TW VOiP phone service into my house … what's "interfering, with what I pay for?!

One of the whole original ideas of MoCA is to transmit ethernet on a different frequency through basic house cable wiring, without having to lay down long ethernet lines where cable wiring has already been installed by the cable company (in my case TimeWarner in my house)!

Apr 5, 2015 2:47 AM in response to Gary Scotland

"The object of a MoCa system is to distribute an ethernet signal, you illustrated how to distribute a cable com signal."

I illustrated a way to split off an ethernet line from the MoCA adapter, to the Apple TV, which would be [laced closer to the Apple TV unit …. without having to wire 50'-60' of new ethernet cable all the way from my iMac (across the house), back to the Apple TV. I am running a short ethernet line from the CABLE modem to the iMac.

What you mis-read is that I have HIGH SPEED INTERNET CABLE running to my modem (which I have been PAYING FOR for over 15 years now), so nothing has changed in my wiring diagram by splitting off the cable line to the modem!

Apr 5, 2015 3:08 AM in response to DavidMac

what's "interfering, with what I pay for?!

You rent the service from TimeWarner, you do not own or have the right to break into the TimeWarner cable.

Either your illustration is wrong or your understanding of ethernet over coax is wrong.

I suggest you consult TimeWarner or a qualified installer urgently.

One of the whole original ideas of MoCA is to transmit ethernet on a different frequency through basic house cable wiring,

Correct, which is why your illustration is wrong as it shows breaking into then distributing the cable com signal. Instead you should be distributing an ethernet signal. Your illustration clearly shows incorrectly connecting the TimeWarner signal to the ethernet over coax connections.

Again, refer to the Actiontec illustration and installation information on their website.

Apr 5, 2015 3:19 AM in response to DavidMac

I illustrated a way to split off an ethernet line from the MoCA adapter, to the Apple TV, which would be [laced closer to the Apple TV uni

No you have not shown how to do this, your illustration is wrong for what you describe.

As I previously stated you need two Actiontec units, a transmitter and a receiver to distribute ethernet over co-ax, your illustration is showing distributing a cable com signal over co-ax. There is no ethernet signal being distributed at all.

Either your illustration is wrong or your understanding of ethernet over coax is wrong.

Apr 5, 2015 3:19 AM in response to Gary Scotland

Actually I see the "house illustration" was also from an ActionTec PDF Product Sheet (my wrong) …. but since I have ALL OFFICIALLY TimeWarner tech installed TV/Internet cable installed in my house, that my MoCA wiring diagram is still valid. Will wait for response back from faxed materials I sent to ActionTec Tech Support on this.

Apr 5, 2015 4:03 AM in response to Gary Scotland

This may be a better "modified" possible layout, with a better description of what each line is and where it connects.

The whole point of the wring layout was to determine if one ActionTec MoCA adapter could be used, or if two adapters were needed.

*Note: Use of in-line POE Filter(s) (Point of Entry), is to especially block any MoCA Cable ethernet transmission from "leaking back out" of in-coming TimeWarner TV/Internet cable … to street line where it could possibly be picked up by neighbors or others able to "tap into" the same pole TW cable lines outside the house.

User uploaded file

Apr 5, 2015 6:53 PM in response to Gary Scotland

After talking with others, I'm dropping the whole ActionTec MoCA interest ….

… and going for a simple Ethernet switch device, and running inexpensive Cat6 RJ45 cable from the iMac/Modem location to the Apple TV, across the house. Too much trouble, time consuming, and potential headaches wiring in and justifying the cost of the ActionTec's MoCA adapters. No doubt would have hours of trouble getting the MoCA adapters up and running. Besides, also read some bad reviews on Amazon about ActionTec Tech Support, and ActionTec MoCA adapter reliability over time.

The KeeBox SGE05 5-Port 10/100/1000Mbps Gigabit Ethernet Switch (below/at Amazon), should do the trick …. along with picking up about 40'-50' of inexpensive Cat6 RJ45 cable. I'll just be running it along the same internet cable line TimeWarner put in to my iMac & Internet Modem.

User uploaded file

KeeBox SGE05 5-Port 10/100/1000Mbps Gigabit Ethernet Switch

http://www.keebox.com/products/productdetail.asp?prod=100_SGE05&cat=80

http://www.amazon.com/KEEBOX-SGE05-1000Mbps-Gigabit-Ethernet/dp/B004FM58MO/ref=s r_1_14?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1428282923&sr=1-…

User uploaded file

Standard Cat6 RJ45 Ethernet Cable (All Colors)

http://www.amazon.com/Cat6-Networking-Ethernet-Patch-Cable/dp/B00BEX6218/ref=sr_ 1_3?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1428283894…

Found Everywhere (All Colors)

So for around $25 bucks total, versus $125.00 (+/-) for (2) MoCA Adapters ….. and a 15-30 minutes installing the CAT6 cable along the same TimeWarner Internet cable line from my iMac…. I'd be done!

Sometime "keeping it simple" (KISS) is still the best method.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.