Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacBook Pro Won't Boot, Hard Drive Full

Ok so recently my Hard Drive became full and I thought that I would clear up some space eventually but I wasn't going to delete files just yet so I switched my laptop off.

Now when I go to turn my MacBook Pro (2012 model, 13-inch, 4gb ram, 500gb hard drive) on it gets stuck on 50% of the load bar and it simply will not budge from there. I have gone into recovery mode with cmd R and verified and repaired my Disk which wasn't even damaged in the first place. And I tried to reinstall Yosemite but couldn't because of the lack of free space needed.

I reset the nvram (pram) multiple times and it still wouldn't start.

Then I tried to boot into safe mode which still didn't allow the bot sequence to finish.

Finally I went into single user mode and run the code:

fsck -fy
and the hard drive was fine. So finally, I felt like I had to delete files using the single user mode, but I have no idea about the entire UNIX system so I am really stuck.

I used this blog to get started: http://www.curphey.com/blog/2012/10/24/mac-wont-boot-full-disk/

first of all I didn't get the log into your root account bit at the start because mine just went straight to the terminal like black page and so I mounted the disk so that it was writable with the sudo /sbin/mount -uw / code. However, now I am completely lost. How do I navigate to the downloads folder and actually delete the files

?? Could anyone please give me line by line code to do this? Or otherwise is there any other way I can start my Mac up again? I need it for Uni desperately.

MacBook Pro, OS X Yosemite (10.10.1)

Posted on Apr 3, 2015 6:30 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 4, 2015 9:31 PM

From single user mode:

cd /

cd /Users

ls <-- (a lower case L)

cd <youraccountname>

cd Downloads

ls

Then: delete <filename> , if it won't let you try: sudo delete <file>

9 replies

Aug 25, 2015 11:29 AM in response to Rick Blythin

HI Rick,

ive been been using this thread for the exact same problem. I have just one issue: the folder I wish to delete is a sub-folder within my desktop. I can view my desktop contents, and see the folder I wish to access. From here I cannot figure out how to look inside, and then subsequently delete the sub-folder.

Pretty sure you're the right person to ask.

Thanks in advance!

Aug 26, 2015 2:04 AM in response to Reiska_1

Reiska,

You can navigate using "CD <foldername>" and list the content with the "LS". To delete a folder there are a few options:

rmdir <FolderName> - This will delete a folder tho only if empty first.

rm -R <FolderName> - This will delete ALL sub folders and files within the folder specified, *use with care*.

rm -iR <FolderName> - Similar to above but interactive. It will ask you to confirm each deletion.

Option one is the safest, to manually delete the content first then the folder itself. Option 3 would be quickest, if you are sure there's nothing in the folder you wish to keep.

Hope this helps, good luck.

MacBook Pro Won't Boot, Hard Drive Full

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.