Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

fan noise is ongoing on my imac how can I solve problem?

Hello all,

My imac with processor speed 3.06 GHz, memory 8 GB and storage capacity 4 mb has ongoing fan noise which doesn't stop even after two hours or more.

I have a problem with this ongoing fan noise on my imac OS 10.6.3 and my question is can I handle the problem my self?

Or is the fan noise indicating there is a problem with the hard drive. I am really not happy with this and would be very thankful to hear from users who have or have had similar issues. I have installed programs on the imac without problems.

Bergljot

Posted on Apr 4, 2015 4:06 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 12, 2015 9:39 AM

The fan could be failing. Run an Apple Hardware Test:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201257

Note that an error free AHT is not definitive.

There may be applications that are resource intensive and creating heat thus the fan speeds up. Open Activity Monitor and check to see what applications are using a lot of CPU resources. You also may have a 'runaway application':

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT203184

You may have dust and dirt inside. Open up the Mac and inspect it.

Ciao.

14 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 12, 2015 9:39 AM in response to bergljot

The fan could be failing. Run an Apple Hardware Test:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201257

Note that an error free AHT is not definitive.

There may be applications that are resource intensive and creating heat thus the fan speeds up. Open Activity Monitor and check to see what applications are using a lot of CPU resources. You also may have a 'runaway application':

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT203184

You may have dust and dirt inside. Open up the Mac and inspect it.

Ciao.

Apr 4, 2015 5:51 AM in response to OGELTHORPE

Thank you for getting back to me. I have run an AHT and an error: 4SN/1/C0000008:TPT -- 124 is detected .

I have no idea where to go from here. The imac is not heating up it's cool but the noise is constant.

If you have an idea and could explain what possibly can be wrong and how to fix.... this would be much appreciated?

Bergljot

Apr 4, 2015 6:30 AM in response to bergljot

Question? Did you replace the disk inside your iMac? There were a few iMac models in the late 2000's where the disk drives had custom Apple firmware that provided temperature information. When the disks are replaced by a generic disk, these few iMac models could not longer ask the disk for the temperature and so they cranked the fans up to Maximum.

If this is your situation, you may want to try SSD Fan Control

<http://exirion.net/ssdfanctrl/>

I run SSD Fan Control on my 2009 27" iMac, because this was one of the affected iMacs, and I replaced the original 1TB disk with a 2TB disk after the original 1TB failed for the 2nd time.

Apr 4, 2015 7:25 AM in response to Eric Root

Thanks for reply. But I'm still very unsure.The link "Reset SMC" does it actually tell how to reset the System Management Controller?

I have also tried to open the imac to see it there is dust but that doesn't seem to be the case at least not immediately.

I'm eager to find out more before contacting The Genius Bar.

Bergljot

Apr 4, 2015 8:07 AM in response to bergljot

These instructions are near the bottom of the web page Eric Root gave you a pointer to:

Resetting the SMC for Mac Pro, Intel-based iMac, Intel-based Mac mini, or Intel-based Xserve

1. Shut down the computer.
  2. Unplug the computer's power cord.
  3. Wait fifteen seconds.
  4. Attach the computer's power cord.
  5. Wait five seconds, then press the power button to turn on the computer.

Apr 4, 2015 10:11 AM in response to bergljot

bergljot wrote:

The error message indicates that the temperature sensor for the power buss is faulty. This I will be able to tell when I get to the Genius bar.

Certainly advise the technician of the error the AHT developed. He will/should run the test that he has available that may provide more information.

Error is faulty temperature sensor as detected from hard drive test. Of course as far as I understand it, this may or may not be the problem.

I am 90+% certain that is where you problem is located. When the AHT produces an error, there is little room for doubt.

Ciao.

Apr 26, 2015 8:21 AM in response to OGELTHORPE

Oh hello again, just wanted to finalise our conversation re van noises. Yes, finally I went to the Genius bar and there all staff were just wonderful..... Nothing was found but later the technician called me and told the graphic card was faulty and needed to be replaced so that's what it all ended with together with the power supply also being replaced. These repairs were all carried out free of charge.... I must admit that I never expected Apple to be so generous since the 3 years warranty had run out but they decided to do it all for free. Very fortunate indeed!

Thanks for your time, B.K.

fan noise is ongoing on my imac how can I solve problem?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.