Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

ViewSonic VX2235wm widescreen LCD

I'm a new Mac user - received my mini last night. I bought a 22 inch Viewsonic widescreen LCD (VX2235wm) and am happy to say that the Mac Mini supports the monitor's native resolution of 1680x1050 (DVI connection).

mac mini

Posted on Oct 18, 2006 6:38 AM

12 replies

Nov 11, 2006 2:53 PM in response to bigminimac

I recently bought the 22" Viewsonic widescreen (VX2235) for my Mac mini. I've found that if I do anything too video intensive (e.g. watch video or use Photoshop) for very long that I get "snow" or "static" running through my screen. Then it will just turn off as if there isn't a signal. It usually comes back up quickly but the problem persists and after a short time it won't come back up. Then it will say that the frequency is out of range. I called Viewsonic and they said to call the computer manufacturer because it was probably my video card. I have the ATI Radeon 9200 card with 32MB DDR. I am using the DVI cable that came with the monitor. At first I thought it was the particular monitor, but after exchanging it, I still had the problem. Any thoughts or help would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Sam

Mac mini Mac OS X (10.4.8) Viewsonic VX2235 monitor

Nov 15, 2006 8:54 PM in response to outthewindow

G4 mini's with ATI graphics cannot drive non-coherent TMDS receivers above 135MHz. That's a real mouthfull but what you need to do is either switch to using the VGA port on the monitor and mini or else download SwitchRes X Control Panel and build a custom timing for 1680 x 1050 and click on the "Use simplified settings" checkbox and then select "CVT-RB" in the associated pop-up. This should cause a timing to be built with a dot clock well below 135MHz and the stability issue with DVI should go away. It has worked for others.

Nov 18, 2006 10:14 AM in response to BSteely

Thanks to BSteely for the great information. I've also bought the ViewSonic 22". I've experienced somewhat the same problem as outthewindow. After a while of graphic intensive tasks the screen will get little sparkling red, blue and green pixels. The monitor doesn't turn itself off as does outthewindow's. The sparkles go away if I turn the monitor off for a few moments. Is the dot clock speed also an issue for the 867 dual G4 MDD? I've downloaded the SwitchRes X control panel. Are there any down-sides to a custom timing?

Thanks again.

G4 Dual 867 MDD Mac OS X (10.4.8)

Dec 18, 2006 4:39 AM in response to bigminimac

hello everyone,

I have the same problem with my mac mini ans the 22-inch iiyama screen in DVI... when I watch a movie, or launch google earth it flickers then turns off. may switchX solve this problem or must I send my monitor back???? does this problem occur with intel minis??? does anyone know a 22 tha works for sure with te ppc mini??? I plugged it in VGA but the image quality is much poorer. I'm reallt fed up!

Feb 15, 2007 12:21 PM in response to BSteely

i purchased a VX2245wm from viewsonic ... their directions are useless for mac ... after hooking the new display up the screen just flashed on and off but i could see the desktop for brief moments ... i had used the DVI cord they supplied thinking it was newer and better ... i did try downloading the switchresx control panel but that seemed too complicated ... i called viewsonic and they wanted me send it in for repair at my expense .... as a last resort i tried using the VGA cord that viewsonic had sent along with my old adaptor ...guess what? it started right up perfectly!! ... didn't have to use viewsonics quick start cd or anything ..just started working fine .. great monitor ... just this fyi for those that follow! ... these forums are a godsend!

ViewSonic VX2235wm widescreen LCD

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.